1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dead Area On Fretless Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by IanB, Oct 20, 2006.

1. IanB

IanB

Oct 20, 2006
    I've just bought a s/h late 70s fretless Fender Jazz Bass and there is a dead area around the line of the fifth fret of the G string and some slight attendant buzz between the 4th & 8th fret lines on the same string that I can't seem to shake with any kind of traditional adjustment to the bridge etc.

I figured the set up would cure the problem but I am stumped. In every other way the guitar is beautiful to play.

The buzz I can live with - the dead 'fret' I can't.

My other fretless (a 1981 Aria) has never had anything remotely similar to contend with.

Anyone have a similar problem they solved or a bright idea that might help?

Cheers
    IB

2. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    It could just require a truss rod tweak. If the truss rod is pressing against the back of the fret board in that particular locale, it'll give you a dead spot.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    5th fret on G string is a common dead spot for those instruments. Not much you can do to help it. Search for "fat finger" .