Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dead B & E string... Every set I put on?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Modern Growl, Jun 15, 2005.

1. Okay, so every new set of strings I put on, the B & E string alway sound dead out of the pack. Warwick strings/ Roto's/ Dean Markley's / MTD's All of em!!!!

Now I know its not the bass, because I got it not too long ago (G&L L2500 Tribute) and the strings that came on it, (SIT's) the B and E sounded fine.

Am I doing something wrong?

2. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    it might be that the new strings are a bit lower guage than the ones it came with. This may cause them to hit against the fretboard, causing them to sound dead. You may need to either raise the bridge for those two strings, or bring it to a shop and have them adjust it for you.

3. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    One thing you might want to try is checking to see if the strings are orientated properly. Since it is on all the new sets you're buying this could be the problem. try loosening the string all the way. Pull the string coil off the post & if it points up you have a twist in the string. If you have a twist in the string it'll sound dead & won't sustain.

4. Maybe, I'll check to see that but I don't think thats the problem.

From my observation I think its because the B & E string being so thick (non tapered winding) in comparison to the others, it has a harder time "angeling" over the bridge saddle. Of course you have to gently press down on the string right over the saddle to its a clean sharp angle instead of an arch, I know this. But I think that becuase there so thick of a gauge that it causes much more stress at that angle area that the string/strings core gets damaged at this point.

I'm going to try Labella's HardRockin (Tapered B & E) to see if this helps. If not, I have Rotosound Piano's and Dean Markley SR2000's on the way. Both of which are core contact. This should Hopefully take care of it.

Has anyone else had a similar problem like this? Does the above resolution (taper/contact core) strings seem to make sense?

5. has anyone else came accross this problem with NON-tapered strings?

6. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    that wouldnt make them sound dead, you would just get fret buzz...