1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dead B string on MIM Jazz w/Rotosound 66's

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by need4mospd, May 8, 2006.

1. need4mospd

need4mospd

Dec 22, 2005
    Houston
    I just threw on a fresh set of Rotosound 66's(45-65-80-105-130) on my 5 string MIM Jazz and the B string is terrible sounding! Anyone else have this problem? Bad string? Just a MIM Fender thing? One thing I noticed with the Roto's was the B string didn't taper before the tuning peg. With other strings, it tapers just after the nut.

My last set was GHS Boomers and I thought the B was kinda weak, but now it's almost unplayable. I'm wondering if it's just a bass quality thing and not a string thing?

Otherwise, I LOVE the sound of the E-G!

2. when you pluck the string do you get weird overtones. and no audible note?

This happens sometimes with rotosound strings. you get a bad one out of the pack, they sound fantastic but the Quality Control is somewhat lacking. If you bring your string to your local dealer with your receipt and explanation they might change your set.

3. Asaf

Asaf

Jun 9, 2003
    Israel
    send an email to ROTOSOUND tell them the story and they will take care of you. i got a dead string in one of my sets and they sent me a new one + a brand new set - the best service i ever got from a strings company.

4. Try pushing down on the string just ahead of the bridge saddle, until you have a good witness point at the saddle. The bigger the string, the more critical this is. The big strings tend to be rounded over the saddle, rather than angled, unless you help them along.