Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dead Bass please help

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by DenisW, Mar 20, 2004.

1. DenisW

DenisW

May 5, 2002
    Cork,Ireland
    My Warwick Thumb Bass is dead.There is no sound coming from the Bass.The Amp is fine.I have messed around with all the controls on the Bass,but nothing.I have changed the Battery also.No visible loose connections either.My Leads are fine also.What could be the problem?

2. Check the cable. Get another instrument that you know works and make sure the amp and cable are all right. If you are sure the problem is in the bass, the most common causes of failure in those basses are the output jacks and the stupid little connector that attaches to the top of the battery. The larger size (female) socket on the battery or on the connector tends to get stretched out and doesn't make contact. Pinching it with your finger tips usually solves that problem. Make sure you don't have a dead battery from leaving it plugged in. Troubleshooting onboard electronics is tricky because of the size and delicacy of all the components, and is probably best left to an expert.

3. I know the input jacks have problems if it is a BO, they do on mine and a few others have had that problem.

4. DenisW

DenisW

May 5, 2002
    Cork,Ireland
    Thanks for the advice.I have found the problem.I just got the Bass Friday.So not too familiar with it.It is the Cables I use.I use Planet Waves Guitar Cables.When I insert the Cable all the way in it does not work.I have too pull it out a couple of millimetres for the Bass to work.With other Cables it is fine.Has anyone ever heard of a problem like this.I think Planet Waves Cables are great,but I cannot use them with my Warwick Thumb.