1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dead Bridge Pickup - Need Help

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by faulknersj, Jul 22, 2012.

1. faulknersj

faulknersj Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2008
    Scottsdale Az
    The Fender Noiseless Bridge Pickup in my Jazz Bass just died. When I took the pickups out to replace them with NJ4 pickups, they were both working just fine. I decided that i preferred the Fender pups and upon reinstallation discovered that the bridge pup was not working. Any ideas regarding why it went dead and how to issue pickup CPR to bring it back to life?

2. kesh

kesh

Jul 9, 2012
    Brighton, England
    If you have a multimeter check the DC resistance of the pup, it might have shorted.

3. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Redundant thread... :rolleyes:

MM

4. faulknersj

Apr 4, 2008
    Scottsdale Az
    I don't have a multimeter. What causes a short? Mystic Michael, any links? My search didn't turn up what I was looking for.

5. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    See "multimeter" at harborfreight.com

Often these are on sale for just a few bucks. And useful for many other things (like testing line voltage etc.)

And it might not be shorted it could be open. That would be a broken wire. (wire inside pickups is very fine and can break)

If you measure a reasonable resistance on the leads to the pickups (it should be some thousands of ohms) then you need to check the rest of the wiring for shorts and opens.

6. faulknersj

Apr 4, 2008
    Scottsdale Az
    Hey...thank you BassBenj for weighing in!! Much appreciated!