Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dead Cats

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by nanook, Apr 4, 2003.

1. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    I see you can't swing one without hitting a Digitech BP8.

They are for sell everywhere, new and used for some decent bucks. Mostly they go for about $150 to $175. They do look a bit big and cumbersome.

truthfully, I have never used any effects so this will be an adventure for me. My though was that a floor processor would be better than a rack mount since I will be using it on a big Ampeg combo rig as well as my SWR stack.

I really want the best unit I can get for less that $300 so I'm up for some advice here. Compression would probably be the most common effect that I might need.

Help me out here guys & gals.

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I used a BP8 for several years until I went to a pedalboard setup. It was the best one available when I bought it in '99.

Now there's the Boss GT6B, which you could probably pick up for around $300 used on Ebay. If you're worried about size and weight, you might want to consider that the GT6B is bigger and considerably heavier than the BP8.

The BP8 is certainly not perfect, but for the money it's hard to beat. The smaller BP200 goes for around $140-$150 new, but the BP8 has much better effects quality for the same price when you buy used.

Plus the BP8 has a tube inside it, so you get a warmer sound. There are also online patch libraries for it, to help you get started.

3. I picked up a BP8 for next to nothing and am in the process of programming sounds for a prog rock jam band, so far I and the super picky band members are pleased. IMO it's rack mount quality in a pedal board and I'll send it to a stereo power amp and stereo bass cabs and use a few stomp boxes in front.

4. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize
    I owned one for a while and didn't care for it. Like most multi-effects units, it does a lot but doesn't sound nearly as good as a dedicated effect. IMO, If you're looking for a good compressor then buy a good compressor. If you're anything like me, you'll find that most of the effects have little or no practical use.