1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dead D string even after string change ....

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Phlipper, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Phlipper

Phlipper

Feb 5, 2013
    Fayetteville, NC
    Endorsing Artist: Old SS Peavey Lead Sleds and Peavey tube amps
    Ibanez SR370M ... my old workhorse. Seemed to happen during a string change, but more likely I just didn't notice it before. Cuz I changed the D string and it's still muffled. It's muffled noticeable when unplugged so it's not a pickup issue. I've played with the saddle height ... nada. Soooo ....

Where to look next? The nut doesn't appear cracked and the bridge looks ok. I'm gonna change the saddle on the bridge maybe this weekend. Thought I'd buy a few nut blanks and dust off my files. But I'm still curious what may be causing it. Very weird.

2. Pug the Pig

Pug the Pig Banned

Mar 21, 2018
    London
    Not much help ....but I've got a 'Joe Pass' type geetarr that does just the same, D string too...

3. Phlipper

Phlipper

Feb 5, 2013
    Fayetteville, NC
    Lol.

I figure it's gotta be something with the saddle or nut that I can't detect just looking at it. Weird. And a pain. This is my baby. :(

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
  4. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    That is weird, could it be break angle at the nut? If the string was wound high on the tuner and there wasn't enough angle that might cause it. I imagine you've checked if the ball end is seated right and the string is squarely in the slot on the saddle.

5. I first suspect string twisting. This can happen if you seat in the saddle first, then thread the tuner.

Instead thread the tuner first to within an inch of the saddle, then seat in saddle while pulling up on string to keep tension at tuner, then tighten tuner to pitch.

6. Phlipper

Phlipper

Feb 5, 2013
    Fayetteville, NC
    Hmmmm .... dunno. I've always aimed for 2 - 3 wraps and have been pretty consistent. I'll check that when I get home.