Dead D string

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Steve S, Sep 5, 2005.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    I have a 62 MIA Reissue Jazz which I bought used and was built in 2001. It is a very nice bass but the D string sounds dead. I had it set up with new strings but it didn't help. Every note on the string lacks sustain, especially at high volumes. Can someone tell me what is wrong with it?
  2. I think this belongs in the Set Up sections.

Why dont people look around first...

:rolleyes: :rollno:
  3. I first though that it should be in strings, but then I thought it was more of a bass problem.

Is there something wrong with the nut or the bridge?
  4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Those are really the only 2 options...but if even the fretted notes are dead, it really means it can only be a bridge problem...
  5. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I had a bass that had the same problem on it's E-string. Check the nut to make sure it isn't cracked.

Could be a bridge saddle that's not making full contact with the bridge's baseplate, weird.

Do you have at least 2 windings around the string post?

That's about as far as I can guess.

Hope you can get it ironed out. Best wishes,
    - Art
  6. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I was still thinking this through and posting when you posted this response. (Man do I feel stupid :eek: )

Steve S: Does the D string sound dead when you're playing the bass without an amp?
  7. I have read somewhere before about dead spots on guitars, something about the way a body of a guitar will resonate or vibrate causing a particular string to sound dead. One way to compensate for this is to add a weight to the headstock to see if adding mass to the instrument will shift the dead spot.

I read that a long time ago so I hope I'm not way off base.

If it's not the nut or bridge (I would check them first too) it's worth checking out.

You could experiment with a small wood clamp (C-clamp) if you have one. Just protect the wood with some small pieces of scrap wood and do not tighten it too much.
  8. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Doesn't sound like a 'dead spot' to me... They tend to run just a fret or two on the neck. I've never heard of a full neck D string 'dead spot'.

Check that bridge out...and make sure that you're not twisting that string when you put it on.
  9. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    Hi Folks,

Thanks for the replies. I had the bass set up and restrung at Bass NW because I thought it was just a bad D string. I had Chad put DR Low Riders on it but it didn't help. You cannot notice the dead notes unamplified or at low volume....only at high volume. The string is wound around the peg three times like the others. When the band is playing hard and fast, it's weird when every note, especially those on the first through fifth frets lacks sustain on the D string.
  10. sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    How do you have the strings run at the bridge? Is it strung through the body, or out the back of the bridge? I had a dead E string on my fretless Jazz and it was due to a very sharp break angle as the string came up strung through the body and made a nearly 90 degree break over the saddle.

Since it's on every note on the string, the problem has to be something at the bridge. That is the only common factor.
  11. I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    I have the exact same problem!I wanna know the cause.Intonation?
  12. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    The string goes through the bridge.
  13. sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    The common element here is the saddle on the bridge. Perhaps get a replacement saddle for the bridge and give that a try. Although I'm not sure what you mean by the following comment:

"You cannot notice the dead notes unamplified or at low volume".

If there is a lack of sustain it should be apparent regardless of the volume of the amp.
  14. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    The D string sounds just like the other ones at low volume but when I turn the volume up, it doesn't vibrate like the others. Every note on that string sounds dead at high volume. It is a weird sound but I'll check the bridge and nut again.
  15. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    It could be a pickup problem.
    I read a while back about a lakland that had single string volume issues, and it was the pickup that was damaged.

Test the d with each pickup soloed and see if it is imbalanced when only one of them is soloed

You could also try taking out the pickups and swiching the pickups so the poles that are under the D are under the A string if the A string comes out dead then you know the problem.

I know it sounds like a chore, but it's only 8 screws, and it might isolate the source of the problem

Good Luck
  16. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    What are you, the post police? If you can't contribute constructively, don't post. If you see a thread in the wrong section, report it - don't make snide comments.

Sheesh. Moved.
  17. PhillipA

May 30, 2015
    With apologies for being slow or stupid, I cannot find where this problem got posted to. I have the same problem and would love to find out more.