Dead D-string

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by LA, Feb 15, 2002.

1. LA

Oct 17, 2001
    I've had two sets of strings on my Kingston in the last three months-the original MTD's and now a set of Ken Smith custom balanced roundwounds. With each set, after two weeks, the D went dead! What kinds of things on the bass should I look for that might be causing this, or is it just a case of bad luck? BTW, all the other strings sound just fine.
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

If you have had other sets, (besides the two you mention), that sounded fine, - take a paper clip of other ferrous/iron-containing small object and wave it close to the various pole pieces. If you notice that the pole piece(s) for the D has noticeably weaker magnetic pull than the others, I'd guess the problem is that pole piece, not the strings.

If you really suspect the strings, I don't know about those brands you've tried, but I know from experience that some brands, such as DR or their dealers, such as, will send either a new string or a new set to you free of charge.

Personally, my constant quest is a G string that doesn't sound wimpy. All the roundwound G's I've I've tried "float" above the other strings with this "airy" sound.
  3. JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    Check the earlier Ken Smith thread. I believe the man himself told one TalkBass member that they didn't expect their strings to last very long, I think he said 8 hours! I've never used them, so I can't testify pro or con.