Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DEAD E STRING - NECK CONSTRUCTION?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by luknfur, Sep 14, 2004.

1. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Just read another post about an Fender MIM Jazz with a dead E string. Both guys seem to have run the gambit for resolving the issue without success. Dead spots, brite spots are nothing new but I really don't remember hearing about an entire string being an issue before. I don't build basses but I figure people who do probably know if neck construction can produce such an anomaly (or what the source is). Did a preliminary search and didn't see it addressed so apparently it's not a question that's been beat into the ground - or even answered from what I gathered.

2. I just have my doubts that neck construction is going to be the cause of a single string being dead. After all if the neck MAKES the string go dead, why doesn't it have an effect on all of the strings?

I would be looking at other reasons.

3. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    I hear that and I will take that as a Nay. These guys have made adjustments, replaced strings, pups, etc. and are at a loss as to the source. Both the same kind of bass.

4. Whenever I hear about something like this - even from the principle - I have my doubts. You just wouldn't believe how little sense some people have concerning their instruments. The problem could be a very simple thing but since the diagnosers can't see the instrument, it goes undetected

I would love to get my hands on one of these instruments and see first hand what's up. I bet I could solve it!

5. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Well it struck me as extremely peculiar and something I'd never heard of. Just wanted to get feedback from some luthiers. I thought maybe it was some fluke that's experienced on occassion or maybe something in wood, grain, construction, or assembly that's actually predictable (and therefore avoidable so designed out of the instrument). You don't know unless you ask - and even then you may not know... LOL

6. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    what's your address? :)

Luknfur has been kind enough to help me out here. :)

Like he said, I've done set ups, replaced strings, changed pickups, and I even tore out the electronics. :bawl:

The only thing I haven't messed with is the bridge (except for the two techs who did set ups for me).

One thing I didn't mention: when i have the strings off the bass, the tuner for the E string kinda wiggles around in it's socket. When the string are on and tightened it doesn't move. :help:

7. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    See how pretty she is (Fender). That's why I want to save her!!!!!!

8. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    It very well might be your tuner. Any mechanical movement steals energy from the string. Some Elmer's glue, a splintered wood toothpick, and an exacto knife can fix your tuner.

9. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    it seems to be rock solid when the strings are all tightened up....but i'll give it a shot.

10. I wouldn't worry about that too much. All tuners I've come in contact with (except Sperzel) have a little play in the post. If it tightens up with string tension, it's essentially no worse than a simple Fender type saddle arrangement.

11. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I too have this problem with my MIM P. All the other strings sound fine but the E is just weak acoustically. No real depth or resonance. I went to the music store and plucked open E's on a bunch of basses. Most of 'em sounded great acoustically. I've looked at every possibility, bad strings, loose neck joint, loose tuner, sharp angle at saddle, nut. All of these things are fine. Last week I put 5 old E's on my bass and they all had the same qualities--->low end comparable to the A (at best) and no real roundness, just a heavy twang :( . I really wish I could let you take a look at it Hambone.

12. It's the Poplar! It's the poplar! :bag:

Just kidding.

13. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO!!!! I CAN'T LIVE LIKE THIS!!!!!!!

14. Squidfinger

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    The only thing we can do, buy new basses :scowl: . 99% in the next few days I'm gonna be slaving over a hot oven pinching my pennies for my dream bass----Yamaha Attitude Ltd II.

[​IMG]
    Mine will be black, strung BEAD.

I just have to force myself to practice now till I get it. My P has no thump!!!!!!!!!! :bawl:

15. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Hmm?

On that Yamaha, why has it got two input jacks and a patch on the pickgaurd?

16. the "patch" is a dimarzio copy of an old Gibson mudbucker, and the two jacks are because the bass is stereo.

17. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    That fingerboard looks like a piano-keyboard tie. :scowl:

18. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    hmmmmm i guess i should think about trading it in at a guitar store???????

19. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE

Well there you go Hambone, a stealth pickup for your stealth pickgaurd!

-----------------------

Where wisdom is bliss, tis folly to be ignorant (or something like that?)

20. Squidfinger

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I've thought about this too. But then I think they'll pluck the E and look at me like I'm trying to put something over on 'em (which I guess I would be) :ninja: . Anyways I need cash for the Attitude, not a trade in. I would maybe trade it for a SABDDI if I could.

I've also thought about selling it to some kid, but I must resist the urge to be evil. I'm losing the fight. :bag: