Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dead E string on MIA Fender standard jazz

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Murf, Jan 22, 2002.

1. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    Hi guys,

I just purchased an MIA Fender standard jazz bass and I'm really really happy with it, the only thing bugging me a bit is that the E-string sounds dead in comparison to the A, D and G strings, (yes I've changed the strings a few times but its still there), now I know Fenders are notorious for dead spots on the fingerboard but this seems to be the entire string...its bizarre to say the least because the other strings are perfect, anyone come across this before?

cheers

2. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Hi Murf,
    Yeah,I had this on my backup bass (MIJ '63 reissue P)
    Turned out to be the nut!
    It nearly drove me mad until I had it properly set up and the nut re - cut!

:eek:

3. Well, it's not the nut if it's dead on a fretted note:)!

Most likely a dead string is all you've got here. First, I would take it off, coil it into a loose loop, and bake it at 450º in the oven for about 30 minutes. Take it out and let it cool then reinstall. Sometimes the oil used to lubricated the machines that do the winding will get deep into the windings and cause a dead string. I know this to be true of the ground wound variety so it might be the case here.

Hope this helps

4. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    Thanks for the replies guys,

Its not the string because I've tried a few different sets (I normally use medium guage roundwounds but I've also tried flatwounds and the string is still dead), funny thing is its only noticeable when I slap the other strings are perfect but the E just gives me a really dead sounding "thunk" without the tone and clarity of the other strings.

PaulA, I dont think its the nut either because as Hambone said its dead on the fretted notes as well (but I'll give it a go as ye never know).

Could it be a pick up problem maybe?

cheers

5. how 'bout technique ?
    perhaps you're slapping on the wrond spot.. can cause messed-up sound too..

6. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Hi,
    Yeah,Agree with the fretted note thing.
    When my P was playing up you could actually feel that the notes were "dead" without plugging in.
    If it helps, I phoned the guy who set it up for me and cured the problem.
    He remembered the bass and said he had REPLACED the bridge saddle and this had cured it!
    So,maybe try swapping the bridge saddles around??

7. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    HA HA HA HA HA:D

(sorry thats a very valid point however I can safely say my technique is not the problem
    :)

8. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    Hi Paul,

Now that could work however I was under the impression that adjusting/swapping the bridge saddle was done to stop/fix fret buzz? anyway no harm in trying :)

(I think ultimately I may bring it to a luthier I know and get him to do a proper set up for me...which is a bit of a pain 'cos other than the damn annoyeing E string the set up is perfect)

cheers