Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dead....Finger?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Murf, Jul 15, 2002.

1. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    Hi guys,
    The weirdest thing has just happened to me and I'm wondering if anyone else has ever experienced it? Basically The top joint of my middle finger (fretting hand) has gone dead (ie numb, cant feel it):confused:

Now I have been playing a hell of a lot over the past few months with this new gig I have so maybe I've damaged a nerve or something somewhere..its realy bizarre.

Any thoughts?

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Go to a doctor. Better safe than sorry.

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Good advice, it would be a shame to lose sensation forever.

4. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    My guess is that its a combination of callous and chronic inflamation due to your playing. Since you have not given your finger a chance to recover from the increased playing, the effects have been additive. Take a break foe a few days and use some ice to see if it helps before ya run of to the MD and get charged for what I am telling you.

If in 4-5 days its no better, then absolutely get it looked at.

Mike

5. I've had this problem, and it was when I started playing a lot more, i found that if I gave it rest, it was fine, but it's come back a few times..
    Try & make sure your not playing really hard.. And use your other fingers (if u dont already)!!

6. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    Cheers Mike,
    I think your right, It started to clear up a bit yesterday and its more or less back to normal now, really weird, I've been playing a loooongg time and never had anything like this before, but I have been doing a lot (4hrs a night for the past month) recently.

Whew for a moment I thought it was a clot:eek:

7. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    No problem m8 glad to help. BTW a clot is much more dramatic and symptoms are different. Just take it easy for a bit.

Mike

8. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    The human body is indeed a mystery.

9. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    Yea I had numbness and tingling in the ring & pinky fingers of my left hand once. I thought it was repetitive injury related. Turns out it was due to the fact that I had just finished a stint of playing 5 nights a week for 2 years, with my Sting Ray 5 maple tree hanging off my shoulder. It had misaligned my spine which was pinching a nerve. A few visits to my friendly chiropractor fixed it right up! I still go on a regular basis. You might check into that if it don't get better and stay better.