1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dead Fret?????

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Essthreetee, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Essthreetee

Essthreetee

Aug 19, 2007
    Visalia, CA
    Is there such a thing as a Dead fret (for lack of a better phrase)???

On my G string, the 5th fret is....bleh....

I have changed strings, and still the same. Sounds fine on every other position on the neck...but on that fret...YUCK.

Anyone else have an experience like this??? If so, what do I do about it???

Thanks

2. It's possible that there are some fret issues on that instrument, and in exactly the place you identified. It's also possible that your bass has a "dead spot" on that place on the neck, and no new strings or new fretwire will really fix the problem. Such is the nature of using organic substances (wood) and expecting them to be consistent.

3. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

Some posts here have talked of fixing a dead spot by gluing the fret down with some super glue. Perhaps you can find it with a search.

4. XylemBassGuitar

XylemBassGuitar Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 14, 2008
    Durango, CO
    Owner and Operator, Xylem Handmade Basses and Guitars
    It is possible that you have some high frets after the "dead" fret which are causing the string to "fret out" or dull the sound of the note. It also might be a loose fret, which can be fixed with a very thin superglue.

It might also be a "dead spot" in the neck like fretlessman71 says, but those are fairly rare in my experience.

What quality is the bass?

Has it always had the "dead fret" or did it start just recently?

If you determine that it's a loose fret, I can walk you through a procedure for gluing it back down. If you can't determine what the problem is yourself, I'd find a good repair tech.

5. funkifiedsoul

funkifiedsoul Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2007
    That's the classic dead spot on basses. Probably not your fret. Got another bass? check the same note (C on G string)

6. lowtide

lowtide Commercial User

Oct 14, 2006
    Bradenton, Florida
    Owner: Buzzard's Bass Shop
    I always perform a ring test when all strings are off. If a fret has a dead tone I usually see if tapping it down will help reseat it so there's full contact with the board. Sometimes it's necessary to full that fret and reseat it with some super snot, as Xylem explained.