dead frets

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by hursty, Oct 8, 2005.

1. hursty

Aug 20, 2005
    Hi daydreaming rockstars... I have a Washburn B10, i have strings on it that are not a month old, i do not play on stage(at the moment) just practice at home, and my problem is 2 things, 1, it will not keep in tune, i am talking about 10 minutes of playing then i have to retune it.... 2, i have really bad "dead/flat" frets, seems to be mostly at the 12-15 frets. I clean my strings after every playing session, and have checked the intonation(pressing the 12th fret down etc) but can not get the damn thing to stay in tune longer, or get better intonation from the "dead" frets :confused: . Any advice would be appreciated.......................tx david
  2. How do you string up the bass?
    How many wraps around the tuning key?
  3. You should describe exactly what you mean by a "dead fret" and a few other details...

What happens when you play a note there?

Does the phenomenon happen on all of the strings on the same fret?

Does it happen to all strings on all of those frets (12-15)?

Do you prestretch your strings when you change them?

What type of strings are you using?

Please describe your entire intonation procedure. It is very unusual to have a single fret be "dead" much less a whole series of adjacent frets. Sometimes a single fret can pop up and that will kill the string but not an entire section of the fretboard. Somethin' ain't right here.
  4. hursty

Aug 20, 2005
    hi semborg, i got 3 wraps(its a short post)
  5. hursty

Aug 20, 2005
    hi Hambone, maybe i exagerated a bit... the d string fret(15) and the g string fret(14) have no intonation at all, the note last's about half a second.... the frets before and after it are fine, which is annoying, and when i say "dead" i mean note wise, ie out of tune as well as no tone at all, but the rest of the frets seem fine, come to think of it, it just seems to happen to the d and g strings. I just use the old "harmonic on the 12th, then hold it down, see if it is the same note" style intonation, then adjust the saddle accordingly(or not!), i have roundwound strings(long scale standard gauge by Rotosound, and i put them on "by the book". tx for replying
  6. I need to make it clear that when I said it was unusual to have a single fret be dead, I wasn't speaking of the well known "dead spot" type of thing that Fender style necks are known for. I meant more of a fret with dead notes across the entire fret. A deadspot that far up the neck is unusual too but not unheard of.
    Using an electronic tuner, is the note truly out of pitch at that fret? If the other 2 strings are in tune, the D and G must be close. The dead tone might be a fret that has sprung up a little and needs to be reseated and maybe glued in place. It could also be a simple deadspot. Have a pro check it out if you are unsure about the sprung fret and what to do with it.
  7. hursty

Aug 20, 2005
    Will take your advice and get it checked by a pro, the "note" at the said "dead fret" is there, but "flat", yet it still has no intonation when i hold down at that fret, tx again for your advice....hursty