1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dead frets

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dinghy, Jul 27, 2007.

1. dinghy

dinghy

May 27, 2007
    Saratoga, CA
    Do any of you have basses with some frets that are just... dead? A couple of notes on my GSR200 sound... duller and deader and quieter than the rest. What is the cause of this? Could it be my ears? Strings? Frets themselves? Fret placement?

2. Do a search on 'dead spots' and you will find a lot of information.

Most instruments have a dead spot or two, usually on the G string between the 4th and 7th frets. Most of the time you really don't notice it.. pretty subtle... just a slightly quicker decay of the fundamental. Sometimes, however, the note decay is so abrupt that all you end up hearing is the harmonic, and that can be kind of a drag.

There's nothing much you can do about it, and it's usually pretty easy to play around the one or two notes that might be a problem.

K

3. Hillside_Loafer

Hillside_Loafer

Jul 21, 2007
    KJung has a really good point.

but it's probably even easier if you made sure it's not just the room you are in that has problem with frequencies.

i know my room has some problems i've tried to work out with some improvised diffusors. moving around in the room or changing the room you are in might help.

you did say the notes were duller, mostly you notice the room effect by certain wavelengths resonating in the room.

however if it's duller (unless you managed to get a really strange phase-problem with the resonance) i think that you should go for KJungs advice.

try to move the amp into different rooms, if the problem remains, then it's the dead spots KJung describes that is the problem and not the room probably.

if it's a room problem it's a lot easier for you though :p

good luck with working that out

4. One of my Electra's had some dead frets. I put some crazy glue under them and knocked them down with a soft hammer as it was setting. I cleaned up the excess glue wiht QTips and acentone. After that I wiped the neck down with lemon oil. It made the frets sound MUCH better.