Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dead G string

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by RobZon5, Mar 9, 2004.

1. RobZon5

RobZon5

Feb 12, 2001
    Bartlett, TN
    Hi Folks,
    My new set of Spirocores (weich) seem to have a dead G. I'm a upright newbie that played slab for 22 years and never had a dead slab bass string. Is there something I might be missing? It's not twisted. Is this normal?

2. RobZon5

RobZon5

Feb 12, 2001
    Bartlett, TN
    :meh: Well, as it turns out, I don't much care for these strings anyway. I would like something smoother feeling, thicker, and more... thud. Anyone care to make a recommendation? I don't own a bow yet, but I might be talked into getting one for cheap, if that makes a difference in recommendations. I can't see using a bow much other than practicing intonation, but who knows, I may enjoy it.
    The strings will go on my Merchant Vertical bass (EVB).

3. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Spirocore medium. Cheap bows aren't enjoyable, IMO.

4. Obligatos.

5. True, at least when it comes to fiber glass and really cheapos.
    Again, the octagonal Brazil wood German bow i Got from Bob Gollihur is, for me, an exception at around $158 including shipping.
    Please use the Newbie Links to arm yourself with some knowledge.
    As far as your dead G, it might be worth an email or call to the place where you bought the strings.
    You'll also find that Thomastiks are not the strings of choice of most people concentrating on arco around here. You say you're looking for a "thud" kinda sound. Should be easy "cause most strings that have that "thudy" kind of response and sound pizz. wise, are usually better sounding/response arco wise. As Steve suggests, Obligatos.