Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

dead gk400rb3 head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ctrazy, Apr 14, 2004.

1. ctrazy

ctrazy Guest

Jan 28, 2003
    sarasota florida
    i bought a brand new gk 400 rb 3 from sam ash to take to bermuda with me as i am teaching bass and gigging here. it is a dream gig by the way .It was a light portable rig where it would be cheap to bring it over here on the plane and i could get my money back and sell the rig when i left as i have 2 swr rigs at home in the states .I also bought a ampeg portabass12 cabinet and a brand new skb case for the head it sounded killer and would be easy to tote around .Well after about three hours of playing time the amp started cutting out the input would die nothing from the bass but the amp was still on it was like a speaker protection the the amp would work again after about 5 minutes and die again then it totally died I called gk and they said they could not figure it out and to send it in on warrenty and that sam ash had sold me a floor model as new I called the store and they said too bad it was past 30 days I will take care of that when i return. Now GK will repair the head i have to pay shipping one way and they will pay it back U.P.S. ground but I have to make up the difference to bermuda The cost to ship both ways for me is 240.00 and will take at least 2 weeks both ways .I am upset_ I bought the amp brand new and now i am out 100.00 duty, the 450.0 I paid for it and I have to rent a head for gigs, as I am only here for 3 months it is not worth sending it in i will have to wait until i get back.And sam ash where i do a lot of business is no help at all, i got ripped off. By the way there are a lot of great players over here ,they all hate G.K. so that is my sad tale. If anyone can come up with some ideas on what the problem might be i would be forever grateful. I should have bought a swr workingmans 12 , but i had a old 400rb and it lasted me for 10 years The thing that really gets me mad is the fact that the salesman at sam ash knew i was coming over here and sold me a floor model as new.But the ampeg cabinet sounds great. Any advice on the head will be appreciated :crying:

2. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    Just curious...does the green power led turn red when this happens or does it stay green? It'll turn red in protect mode, so if it doesn't you might look at possible connection problems. If it's red, there was a defective design at one point in that series that was recalled. I tried two combos with that head. Both had the problem and went back and I bought another brand of amp. I think GK was a low point in customer service then, but they've improved in the past year or so.

3. ctrazy

ctrazy Guest

Jan 28, 2003
    sarasota florida
    actually the light stays green at all times once it comes on the red light is only on when I first turn the amp on .Maybe it is a connecton problem GK is in total denial they say that model has no problems.And there are no GK service centers here but if it is somrthing simple the tech here could fix it thanks for your feedback i am finding out nobody has much luck with the newer models .

4. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    You should be able to find something about the III series problem, but if your amp's power light doesn't turn red, it hasn't gone into protect mode. Good luck!

5. ctrazy

ctrazy Guest

Jan 28, 2003
    sarasota florida
    thanls i am sure somebody will come up with something. It just sucks thatnI am out in the middle of the Atlantic , with a bogus bass head. Oh well

6. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I'm sure Dan Elliot will pop on here any minute.

7. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Is the voltage over there110-120v/60hz? Or is it 50hz?

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I've never had problems with my GK 400RB-III in a year and a half. I think your problem may come from a change in voltage.

9. Mattski

Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    Take it to a local tech. Have he or she check the pre-amp board for poor solder connections. This was the case with my 700RB/112 combo (which is the same vintage and same pre-amp board as your 400RB III). The fact that your LED doesn't go red is a good thing, I think. It may be simple for a local electronics shop to troubleshoot.

Best of luck.

10. The only problem the 400RB-III had was an issue with the fan. Check to see if your fan is coming on. It may be overheating. call back in to the office. I'm sure we can help you resolve this somehow.

11. ctrazy

ctrazy Guest

Jan 28, 2003
    sarasota florida
    thanks for your coments the voltage is the same as the states . and the fan is coming on when it starts up and shuts down but it only comes on for a second but the tech at gk said that was a sign the fan was working . I am more angry at sam ash then gk, if it was not the shipping costs and duty issue i could ship it back if i was in the states and they would fix it. but i am here for 3 monthd which the salesman at sam ash knew and sold me a floor model as new which i would have never bought from that store. so i got shafted. anyway keep the tips coming in i am checking out all suggestions and i will call gk again

12. Thunderfunk

Thunderfunk

Mar 27, 2004
    McHenry, IL
    I have no experience with G&K so have no direct suggestions, but I do want to say that any amp can develop problems, and I wouldn't hold it against G&K. It's very difficult to fix an amp remotely. If it were an operational problem they might be able to help, but I often find that what the customer says the problem is has no relation to what's really wrong. G&K is honoring what they promised. You might be upset with Sam Ash, but again why would a floor model be any more likely to develop a problem than a fresh out of the box one? The floor model didn't "burn up" by being used. It in fact was "proven" to work through extended use. I don't like the 30 days too bad attitude though. Being in the middle of the Atlantic brings special circumstances to the problem, but short of flying a tech to Bermuda, what can be done?

I would suggest the same as above. Have the amp serviced locally. It's probably not a big problem, and is most likely a loose connection. Maybe even a loose wire on a connector. No manufacturer stays in business building junk. I'm pretty impressed with the tone of G&K. I've never seen inside one though. You might try to get G&K to reimburse you for the repair once you get home. You'll probably feel better after 3 months in the sun.

You might also consider it the cost of doing business. In Barbados the laid back expression is, "These things happen!" :cool:

13. ctrazy

ctrazy Guest

Jan 28, 2003
    sarasota florida
    Gene Lopes from GK e mailed me and told me to take it to a local tech gk would supply the scematics and take care of the billing all i have to do is drop it off that is so cool i never was upset with gk they are working it out with me it is the sam ash store i know the guys there and they tried a quick scam on me and i will deal with it when i get home so i found a electronics tech here in bermuda that musicians recomend so at least i will know what is wrong and if he can he will repair it so my thanks to Gk they are doing the right thing and i appreciate it, and the power of the talkbass forums bass community . i will keep this thread up to date this is a dream gig good money all expensises paid job satisfaction and it is the height of tourist saeson oh ya

14. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Reason 104 I prefer working with small companies. :)

Congratulations!

15. ctrazy

ctrazy Guest

Jan 28, 2003
    sarasota florida
    update on the dead head -- well the power of this forum... after posting back to florida this and sending a fax to sam ashe headquarters the manager of the store in sarasota i bought the amp from called me here and Bermuda and offered to send me a loaner amp and when i got back to florida i could pick out a new one if i can not get it fixed here which gk is goung to pay for so they are trying to make it right there is hope for us consumers so at least both companies are doing the right thing

16. ctrazy

ctrazy Guest

Jan 28, 2003
    sarasota florida
    update on the dead head -- yes it is the power of this forum... after posting back to florida this and sending a fax to sam ashe headquarters the manager of the store in sarasota i bought the amp from called me here and Bermuda and offered to send me a loaner amp and when i got back to florida i could pick out a new one if i can not get it fixed here which gk is goung to pay for so they are trying to make it right there is hope for us consumers so at least both companies are doing the right thing

17. ojthesimpson

ojthesimpson

Jul 21, 2003
    Draper, UT
    Sweet deal.
    I had a problem with a Gk 1001rb I purchased 7 months ago. Gk worked with the shop I took it too and coverd the repair costs even though I purchased the 3 year old amp used.
    I've been playing on it at least 3 hours day for 6 months since. GK or the highway.

**edit**
    also I bought the head broken from Guitar Center and they didn't offer me any help and suggested the worst shop in town to fix it at my expense. When I purchased the head I suspected something was wrong with it but was reassured by the "bass expert" who told me the low volume was do to all the ambience at GC. He also told me I could bring it back in if it didn't work.
    go to guitar center for 1 reason and 1 reason only. If what you want to buy is hard to find locally and too heavy to ship.

18. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    see ctrazy- the squeaky wheel gets the grease ;) i'm glad to hear it's worked out for you and that the relatively small musician community takes care of its own. :bassist:

19. ctrazy

ctrazy Guest

Jan 28, 2003
    sarasota florida
    i took my head to Ornamental Electrinics here in Bermuda the guys name is Allen Decouto he is the best on the island and he fixed my amp It was a factory defect bad soldier joints and connections on the input circuit board ,It works great now it costs 150.00 to repair it which is a monster deal here in Bermuda. Alan is a expert on all kinds of gear i got lucky here a lot of people here hate G.K. heads for some reason but now they have a place to take them to get fixed .One guy has a 400rb head that still works after 15 years , So hopefuuly it is cool but the reason that I got some response from Sam Ash and G.K. was this Talkbass Forum . They both offered to make it right once they realized it was on Talkbass . And G.K. is paying for the repair I am glad as i always like their gear it is good to know there is product support after you leave the strore thanx StRANGER IN A sTRANGE lAND i WILL GET ON ANOTHER FORUM AND TELL THE EXPERIENCE OF TEACHING BASS OVER HERE AND GIGGING HERE cTRAZY

20. ctrazy

ctrazy Guest

Jan 28, 2003
    sarasota florida
    IT WAS BAD CONNECTIONS ON THE PREAMP BOARD BY THE WAY HE RE SOLDERED THEM SOME WERE NOT EVEN CONNECTED IT WAS A FACTORY SCREW-UP