Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"Dead" harmonics--cause?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by emor, Jun 26, 2004.

1. emor

emor

May 16, 2004
    kcmo
    I tried out an Ibanez Artcore today.

After the salesman plugged it in and "impressed" me with his slap riffs :rolleyes: , I sat down and proceeded to tune the instrument using harmonics. They resonated as one would expect until I got to the 7th fret of the A string, and the 5th fret of the E string, from which I got an unsatisfying thud.
    What seems especially odd is that the 5th fret of the A string rang out, while the 7th fret did not.

What could cause this?

2. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    Bad fretwork, neck out of alignment, etc. Get it set up.

3. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    frets have nothing to do with harmonics. when you play harmonics you do not fret the note, Thus frets become irrelevent. I would suggest a fresh set of strings and an intonation check. If you play a harmonic in between the position in which they reside on the fret board you will get a thud!

4. emor

emor

May 16, 2004
    kcmo
    I would suggest a fresh set of strings and an intonation check. If you play a harmonic in between the position in which they reside on the fret board you will get a thud!

By intonation check, I assume you are talking about string length adjustment at the bridge. I thought of this too, which is why I found it curious that the 5th fret of the A string resonated while the 7th fret did not.
    While I was playing these harmonics in the proper position, I tried playing around the position slightly as well, to no avail.

5. Hmmm, 7th fret on the A you say...

Just where would all of the slapwankers grab a neck for look-at-me riffs? Right at the 7th fret on the A so they can doublethump the fretted E and open E at the same time. You may have a set of strings that have so much human goo in them at that point that the harmonic is muffled.

If the strings were flatwound, you were hearing their natural state of being. :eek:

6. Besides, what moron would slap an Artcore anyway? :rollno: :scowl:

7. emor

emor

May 16, 2004
    kcmo
    Besides, what moron would slap an Artcore anyway?

:)

8. Hambone, you're my hero!

[​IMG]
    Treena