1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DEAD! I tell ya!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by codenamepaul, May 7, 2010.

1. codenamepaul

codenamepaul

Jan 27, 2010
    MA
    Well, my Sidekick cabinet gave up the ghost the other day. Used a Bassman 100 amp (70's vintage?) and after a good 17-18 years of ownership, the cab finally bought the farm. Swiped an EV PA cab as a quick replacement and while the tone is great, the amp has a wikkid buzz that I can't seem to track. Looking at this Backline rig

http://worcester.craigslist.org/msg/1726727791.html

as a replacement.

Any comments/suggestions?

2. jastacey

jastacey Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    Sounds like the filter caps on the bass amp need replacing

3. bass4worship

bass4worship Ready For Freddy, let rock Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Sebring, Florida
    The blackline are not bad and if you're not going to play loud; it will work

4. calebbarton

calebbarton

Aug 25, 2007
    Oregon
    I manufacture for several companies including but not limited to: Bridge City Sound, Catalinbread, more.
    yep

5. Andrew311

Andrew311

Aug 13, 2009
    Hutchinson, MN
    "will throw in free five string bass"

:meh:

6. codenamepaul

codenamepaul

Jan 27, 2010
    MA

Never even touched one. Figured it's a junker anyway, but wouldn't mind trying one out.

7. codenamepaul

codenamepaul

Jan 27, 2010
    MA
    Define loud...

I play gigs twice or 3 times a month and 2x a week practice. Gigs are mid size bars (<200 people) and the bassman did well in those venues. Think the GK will hang? Genre is classic rock typically. Been know to stand in on anything from Blues to C&W with a smattering of progressive.

8. The amp head is solid and louder than your old Bassman. I personally am not a fan of the cabs but they should do you fine, you may want to upgrade the cabs at some point. ;)
    5 strings are fun! :D

9. codenamepaul

codenamepaul

Jan 27, 2010
    MA
    Not even sure of the model myself right now. I'm guessing a Backline 600. Awaiting an e-mail to confirm. I used a 600 some time ago at a friend's open jam. Thought the tone was a bit bright for my likes, but it was nothing to fatten up with the tone knob and backing off on the rear pick-up (J bass)

B-string: What don't you like about the cabs? What would you recommend to replace?

10. They are a bit to peaky sounding for me and fart out easier than the Artist series cabs. Not as thrifty with the watts you put into them as well. Don't get me wrong they are good "entry level" cabs.
    The choice for upgrades are almost endless, G-K Artist series (of course), Avatar, Ampeg, Genz Benz, older SWR, Epifini, LDS, Eden, Peavey, Carvin........ Entry cabs are entry cabs, they will do the job. The head I have no complaints about and the tonal range (adjustments you can make) are so vast!

11. codenamepaul

codenamepaul

Jan 27, 2010
    MA
    May have to test drive it on my Acoustic cabinet (301) to see.

Plan is to send in the Bassman for refurb and replace the speaker in the cab myself. Then it will be passed on to my son to keep where he jams. The Acoustic (370) is "his" to play at home, but he needs something to take out.

12. codenamepaul

codenamepaul

Jan 27, 2010
    MA
  13. Pass...

14. codenamepaul

codenamepaul

Jan 27, 2010
    MA
    I did.

Passing on the G-K too. Guy seemed like an a$$-hole and not too terribly interested in selling the amp.

Frankensteined a Hartke HA2000, Fender Bassman 115, and a Peavy 210 together today at a local shop from the used section and was terribly impressed by the sound as were the current occupants of the store. On 4 the owner complained that I was going to knock the guitars off the wall. I told him that's what bassist were for.

For 5 bills, I'm sleeping on it but might go back tomorrow to let it follow me home.

15. codenamepaul

codenamepaul

Jan 27, 2010
    MA
    Done sleeping!!!! The exact setup came home this AM after 2 more hours of messing about with it. (Kudos to the wife who had absolutely NO probelem with me amp shopping on Mother's Day. I am so damn lucky:D)

What did we get? Same as above (more details)
    HA2000- 200 Watts 4ohms (w/padded gig bag)
    Fender Bassman 115-250W @ 8 ohm (500W peak)
    Peavey 210 TVX- 350W @ 4 ohms (175W RMS)

$550 out the door with 2 Ibanez speaker cables thrown in. They covered the tax.:cool:

A few things I learned today:
    I am now the proud owner of my first non-all tube amplifier.
    A look at both my current rigs
    IMG_0899.
    The single 15" cab is the recently deceased.
    The Hartke is actually a "hybrid" as I have come to discover.

I know squat about active electronics in basses. :oops: Was not completely blown away until I put down the bass I was given (a Dean:spit: my son grabbed) and grabbed a Standard J-Bass to get a much better feel for what the sound would be using my gear. I was stunned by the difference. I know a J-Bass compared to a Dean is night and day but I didn't realize how night and day and was told alot of the difference was the active electronics in the Dean.
    Practice is tomorrow night and I am pumped to hear how it sounds with the rest of the band. I am also scared to hear how sloppy I sound as the tone on this set-up is pretty pure (sounding to me)

I'd like to hear any comments or concerns maybe that I should have with some of the ratings with this set-up. It seems to have a bit of headroom with the cabs and the owners manual I downloaded for both have nothing to say regarding the horn knobs in the back. Are these volumes for the horns? Up for more highs, essentially?

16. If the wattage (handling) of the cabs is more than the amp head it means squat. No worries there. The controls on the back of the cabs are to adjust how loud the horns are, adjust them to you personal taste!
    Should sound pretty darn good!
    Kudos to Mom! :D

17. codenamepaul

codenamepaul

Jan 27, 2010
    MA
    Thanks B-String. You've been a great help!