Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dead Music Genres Revived: READ AND RESPOND

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by AltIII, Mar 5, 2003.

1. AltIII

AltIII

Sep 3, 2002
    I'm too lazy to post a poll about this, but just a question:

Are there any "dead" genres of music that you would like to see revived; Motown, disco, blues rock...

I personally would like to see a New Wave revival, I love the quirky synths and the fashion was unmatched.
    I'd also like to see some 50's style rock and roll brought to a modern audience. Too bad Buddy Holly died, he was the shizznit.

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I really hope new wave stays dead. There was a huge rockabilly thing a few years back, remember the Cherry Poppin' Daddies? People like the Reverend Horton Heat continue to enjoy a small but loyal following. the Reverend is cool, but I'm happy that the daddies are gone. READ AND UNDERSTAND. :D

3. There is a New Wave revival going on--check out bands like The Faint and Interpol. ("New Wave" should properly encompass all of the punk-inspired-but-not-quite-punk music of the late '70s and early '80s, methinks.)

4. AltIII

AltIII

Sep 3, 2002
    sheesh, so far I'm the only one that likes New Wave. I'M A FREAK!! I DON'T FIT INTO THE STATUS QUO!!! WHAT AM I DOING WITH MY LIFE. NEW WAVE....WHAT WAS I THINKING.

Anyways, new wave has cooked up some terrible, terrible shunt. However, I forever defend bands such as Devo and Talking Heads (so say they're punk, some say new wave...whatever)

so is anyone gonna contribute to the topic or are you all just going to tell me how much new wave sucks. Either way it's all cool.

5. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Cherry Poppin' Daddies are swing revival, not what I'd call rockabilly. Brian Setzer has had a leg on either side of that fence, though...

Different people think of different bands when the term 'new wave' comes up. I can think of a number of quirky, intelligent bands that were very influential. Gimme Talking Heads any day, and Elvis Costello's longtime bassist Bruce Thomas is one of my fave bassists of all time...

My 2¢, of course... :)

I'm a sucker for most forgotten rock genres. Exceptions include most disposable bubblegum pop and heavy rock from the 80's onward (the orginial batch of grunge bands were mostly cool, but the subsequent soundalikes and the lasting influence of grunge is NOT cool, IMO).

My 2¢ again... :)

6. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Funk.

Jamiroquai have done a pretty sterling job - but I can't think of too many others that have made it really big.

7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001

I still don't like them. :D

8. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    now the big bad voodoo daddy kick complete and total ninja ass!

i dont miss hairbands!:bawl:

9. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    How 'bout some love for the Squirrel Nut Zippers and the Asylum Street Spankers, too! :cool:

10. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    Punk. :D

11. Usually when a genre dies, its for good reason. ::cough:: DISCO ::cough::

But I think it would be cool to see some good new folk music.

12. Disco never died. It became house music, which combined with the influences of Can and Kraftwerk inspired pretty much all modern electronica.

EDIT: Oh, and Eno. Can't forget Eno.

13. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    True dat.

I wish something would come back, anything! Im tired of all these wannabe bands on the radio. Whether it be Creed or Blink or even Britney. I think Norah Jones is heading in the right direction of bringing some substance back to popular music.

I think we need the Police...

14. devane rocks

devane rocks

Feb 27, 2003
    atlanta ga
    I thought music was timeless . I didnt like much new wave when i was a kid but now that I think back there was some cool stuff going on in that music that really helped push the tech we have today on our home computers . But im sorry Ill get flamed for this I do miss hair bands ,it was good time music . The 90s on the other hand ,I could have been cryoed and not missed a thing . Productions and music where bland and boring for the most part. Im forced to download backstreet boys etc for recording ideas thoughs cds have great productions . Its pretty bad when the bsb have a better lead guitar player than most of the rock bands out today.Can anyone name him he's from a band that started with a Q.

gene

15. Prog Rock,

Even though you could make some arguements, I think as a whole it's gone. There are some remanants, but not many.

Riot Grrl,

So few riot grrl bands, which is too bad because there used to be some awesome ones.

16. Idunno, but I know that super-shredder Greg Howe plays for Jessica Simpson and N'Sync.

There have been some really amazing players in teen-pop bands because the backing band's image is irrelevant (they're either in the shadows or offstage entirely). This stands in opposition to the teen-rock movement (Pink, Avril Lavigne, etc.) that is bringing in more image-oriented backing bands who might not be able to get through a Motley Crue tab book. Kinda sad.

17. Prog didn't really die, either. It turned into either artsy pop (Peter Gabriel, '80s King Crimson) or adult-contemporary pop-rock. (See: 1980s Genesis and Yes.)

I think the bottom line here is that styles don't die out so much as evolve. Music is a constant cycle of Hegelian synthesis, to put it in philosophical terms.

18. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    IMO music never dies. it utates and gives birth to bastard offspring. like pete said even disco evolved into house and trance. all music (except classical) can be traced back to blues. :bassist:

19. Well, traditional American country can be traced back to Scottish, Irish, and English folk music.

20. Check out Hot Hot Heat, they're new-waveish (i think).