Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dead Note Practice

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by TheFrizzleFry, Nov 21, 2000.

1. TheFrizzleFry

TheFrizzleFry Guest

Nov 21, 2000
    Stinktown, Pa, USA
    Alright, I understand what dead notes are and everything, but usually when I play dead notes, I get a harmonic. How do I play dead notes (or ghost notes, whatever) differently from playing harmonics. And what are some songs that could help me practice playing dead notes on a bass? Thanks

2. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Matt -

Try using more than one finger on your left hand to dampen the strings. There are harmonic nodes all over the string, and on a bass string, they're very easy to get notes off of. If you place 2 fingers or more on the string, it won't let the harmonic sound. Hope that helps.

3. TheFrizzleFry

TheFrizzleFry Guest

Nov 21, 2000
    Stinktown, Pa, USA
    Holy crap! Your awesome, alright I got that down, now do you know any songs that use a lot of dead notes so I can practice?

4. you can add dead notes to anything, try playing straight 16th notes then after you get warmed up put dead notes at various points in the 16ths

5. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Gruff's suggestion is a good one, it will develop your technique. I do a 1/16th note syncopation exercise with that idea that is a good rhythmic workout. First accent one of the 1/16th's of each beat:

ONE e and a TWO e and a THREE e and a FOUR e and a
    one E and a two E and a three E and a four E and a...and so on

Then do the same with 2 notes per beat, and then 3. Just keep rearranging the notes you're accenting.

As for tunes to work on this kinda stuff, the best I can recommend would be to get some Tower Of Power stuff and pick out Rocco's lines, he's the king of 1/16th note syncopation.

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    "What Is Hip"?-TOP w/ Rocco
    "Barbary Coast"?-Weather Report w/ Jaco
    "For The Love Of Money"?-O'Jays w/ Anthony Jackson

I, too, like the idea of coming up with your own...as Gard(ian)sez-
    In a 1/16 note feel, EMPHASIZE the "1"; "2"; "3"; and "4".
    Ghost/mute all the remaining subdivisions.
    Then EMPHASIZE the "e" of each beat(ghosting the rest).
    ...then the "&".
    Then the "a".

7. TheFrizzleFry

TheFrizzleFry Guest

Nov 21, 2000
    Stinktown, Pa, USA
    Thanks for the help guys, I'll work on that, thanks again.

8. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    My personal favorite example of ghost notes is Jaco's groove on "Come On, Come Over" from his first solo album. That was the one I first cut my teeth on.

9. Funny, I've been practising that very tune because it was in the latest (november) edition of Bass Player Magazine