Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

dead notes

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by banksb, Feb 9, 2005.

1. banksb

banksb

Apr 22, 2004
    Hello everyone,

I've done a search and found some information, but not exactly the answers i'm looking for so i thought i'd post this question for discussion and feedback.

I have a USA fender jazz and recently i broke my E string. I restrung the bass with a new set of the same strings and setup the bass (needed tweaking with the wildly fluctuating humidity in NYC). Now on my E string, I've got dead notes at G and A. I never had this before. I'm leaning toward thinking that I just have a bad string because:

1. If i play the octave of the G and A on the E string (above the 12th fret), I get the same deadness, and,

2. If I play (in the same octave) G and A on the A string (at frets 10 and 12 respectively) i get no deadness. So this tells me the the neck is not somehow resonating with that frequency and sapping it, and,

3. I've adjusted the hell out of my truss rods.

Is my thinking correct here?

One thing i did notice before i did all the above, I had my strings wound around the E and A tuners wrong, i had the string coming off the top instead of the bottom, making not such a sharp angle with the fretboard, i fixed this and A became a little less dead.

Any help is appreciated!
    Brad