Dead pre-amp tube making amp not work?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tallguybcs, Feb 12, 2002.

1. One of my 3 pre-amp tubes in my Traynor YBA-3 is not glowing, and the amp is not funtioning. THe power turns on, all the tubes light up, and the fuze does not blow. Is the one missing pre-amp tube killing the signal?
  2. *bump*

I really need help on this guys, its too late for the show I played today, and I can't find anything online about it.
  3. rcrimm

rcrimm Commercial User

Jun 20, 2000
    Meridian, MS USA
    Customer Service, Peavey Electronics
    There is a good chance that you are correct, but I am not very familiar with that particular model.

If a preamp tube is dead, especially if it is a gain stage or phase splitter, you will get no signal to the power amp. Therefore, no sound....
  4. Thanks, thats exactly what I thought and hoped. All 3 preamp tubes look worn, but the power tubes are just fine, so Ill replace the tubes and hopefully all will be good.
  5. The preamp tubes just look old, not like the power tubes at all, which are pretty new. The amp worked *but wasnt very loud at all* 2 weeks ago, and now it doesnt work at all. Im assuming that the preamp tube in question was working very poorly then, and has since died, but I know not much about tube amps, so I really have no clue.
  6. Thats exactly what Im going to do, Im going to put in 3 new preamp tubes, just cause it couldnt hurt, and if it doesnt work, then Ill take it to a tech.

Thanks for your help, it is really appreciated:)