1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dead rickenbacker, smashing.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by A-Step-Towards, Jan 25, 2012.

1. I saw this dead ric on ebay , it looks like one that got destroyed in the MID blue ric blow out sell, same bass? Its always weird to see where some of MusiciansFriends broken basses end up , because not all of them are re-sold on there website.

Rickenbacker 4003 Midnight Blue Bass Guitar | eBay

2. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    Ya ... broken neck ... that would be hard to fix ... bummer.

3. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    it's dead for sure

4. FBS1996

FBS1996

Feb 14, 2011
    "It was damaged in shipping"

Damaged is a bit of an understatement...

5. LowerCrust

LowerCrust

Sep 5, 2011
    Vancouver BC
    That's one hell of a corpse.. I'd buy a cheap bass, throw those pups and electronics in and have loads of fun

6. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    I get sad when I see something like this...

7. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    that reminds me of while i was driving today, i always listen to the trafiic reports. i heard that a fully loaded tractor trailer UPS truck (not the standard brown box UPS truck) had tipped over and went down an embankment on one of the local freeways.

the first thing that i thought was, i wonder if there were any basses or bass amps in its cargo. the traffic report said that it would take hours to unload and transfer all of the boxes in it then right the truck and trailer, so i obviously avoided that route.

8. I was tracking a bass i had coming to me via UPS , it said delayed-train derailment, that didnt make me feel that great.

9. Grebnaws

Grebnaws

Aug 25, 2010
    Champaign IL
    That looks like some pretty serious grain runout on the neck where it meets the body. I think a bad piece of lumber made it through QC. If that's the case it really wouldn't take much abuse to sheer that neck at that spot, especially with a truss rod at work and strings pulling across it with constant tension.

+1 for unpainted necks

10. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    IMO, that one took quite a bit more abuse that you might think, and i don't think that it had anything to do with the wood grain. the binding on the edge of the body is also cracked which would mean that it got banged reallly hard.

11. Hi.

Easy fix for someone who knows what they're doing.

Too bad the price will probably jump way too high for the repair to be feasible.

Regards
    Sam

12. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    You really can't be serious that a bass broken in a shipping accident is a Rickenbacker QC problem?

:rollno:

13. I wonder how you break a neck off shipping in a hard case? Unless the case was also broken?

As for the Ric QC argument that's about to explode....

............................................________
    ....................................,.-‘”...................``~.,
    .............................,.-”...................................“-.,
    .........................,/...............................................”:,
    .....................,?......................................................\,
    .................../...........................................................,}
    ................./......................................................,:`^`..}
    .............../...................................................,:”........./
    ..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../
    ............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`........../
    .........../(_....”~,_........“~,_....................,:`........_/
    ..........{.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/....}
    ...........((.....*~_.......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............../
    ...,,,___.\`~,......“~.,....................`.....}............../
    ............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”
    ............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\
    .............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__
    ,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|..............`=~-,
    .....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\
    ...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\
    ................................`:,,...........................`\..............__
    .....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
    ........................................_\..........._,-%.......`\
    ...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`\

14. CBRXJ

CBRXJ

Jul 31, 2010
    Apple Valley Ca.
    "The body itself and the neck are in very good condition."

15. I really think this bass was owned by a TB'er and posted in the MID 4003 ric blowout sale thread as arriving at his house like this , so UPS damaged it.

If its not the same bass then another 4003 in MID died

16. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

I find myself feeling similarly incredulous that someone thinks this destruction is somehow bad factory QC.

17. Even when they're dead, I STILL can't afford a Ric. /life.

18. bassassassin

bassassassin

Feb 10, 2007
    Oxford
    The parts alone are worth quite a bit, those nameplates change hands on ebay for loads, might have been better off selling all the bits individually

19. I want to see this case

20. Grebnaws

Grebnaws

Aug 25, 2010
    Champaign IL
    Where did I absolve the shippers of blame? You guys sure are touchy.

I'm not saying that the Ric wouldn't have suffered damage in shipping. I'm saying that the damage is more severe because of a poorly selected piece of wood. Everyone is at fault. If that neck were naked I would have seen it an never purchased it to begin with.

I have broken and replaced dozens of tool handles. Axes, shovels, sledgehammers, forks, hoes, cultivators, etc. They are not bass guitars but they are hard used working tools subject to far greater forces against rock and soil than even a shipping company can muster. Grain runout will reduce the strength of a piece of wood to practically nothing. Once I became more selective with the wood being used to replace tool handles I found myself replacing them far less, and often the repair is good for life when properly chosen and installed.