dead skin

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by dmbbassdude, Mar 6, 2002.

1. dmbbassdude

Apr 25, 2001
    This is kinda disgusting, but it is winter, and the air in my house is really really dry, which makes my fingers really really dry. I have noticed that after every time I play my bass, there is a slight build up of dead skin on my string, and even on my neck. Now, I say slight buildup, but if I go a few days without scraping my strings down, it is no longer a slight build up, rather a noticeable buildup. It is starting to affect my tone, and just make my baby look ugly. Do any of you suffer from this? Is there anything I can do, or do I just have to not play so much til the air gets a little less dry(last resort)?
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    clean the strings with some alcohol
  3. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Wont that dull them out?
  4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Quite the opposite.
    I use it to recycle my strings, and it works so well can keep them brilliant-sounding for up to a year.
    I put 'em in a jar with alcohol for 10 mins up to over night and the highs come back. Like new.

Just don't boil them in water. That kills the strings fast.
  5. jalepina

jalepina Guest

Mar 6, 2002
    SW Colorado
    An easy way to keep your strings clean is to buy a string cleaner. I like GHS Fast-Fret; you can get it at almost any music store. Just stroke the cleaner on and wipe it off, whenever your strings get a little "gunky".

Good luck to ya! :)
  6. And try putting some lotion or something on your hands to soften them up.;)
  7. Drink the alcohol get some handcream