1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

dead spot club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hypercarrots, Nov 20, 2018.

1. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    los angeles
    does your bass have one or more dead spots? join the club.
    what have you done to remedy it?

Bass V likes this.
  2. Some of my basses have dead spots; some do not. My principal remedy is to "tune" the headstock by adding weight (not always a fat)finger) to an appropriate area of the headstock.

AlexanderB and Bass V like this.
  3. WhtMtnGrv

WhtMtnGrv Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2015
    Los Angeles, CA
    Count me in!

4th and 5th fret on the G string of a 2017 Fender Mexican P neck.... surprising no one.

saabfender likes this.
  4. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    entering the DEAD ZONE lol
    now I try to buy only basses which are not afflicted (duh!) while I await the magic bullet fix for the few which have the sickness. I'd like to have a slew of customized Fatheads made for my basses to see how that goes, and am tardy on getting the Fatfingers for bass and guitar in case the smaller one can also provide positives, and have my own more drastic ideas like routing along the underside of the fretboard along the dead spot areas and securing a small metal rod (brass or ?) inside and refinishing over it, or the titanium bullets strategically inserted into the headstock as found in another thread on the subject. untwisting the string / s is another I've yet to try 100%, unscrewing the neckplate screws and resetting them has been iffy, as had changing bridges or saddles. it may be an endless quest which could never prove out and the subject may haunt me forever but it's intriguing and I hope this thread can provide more methods to correcting the insanity. I did find an odd occurrence once I got my Fender B-DEC 30 modeling amp which has magically rendered those basses with dead spots virtually free of such problems, thus throwing more confusion into the mix, but maybe there's a secret to be revealed there... I just don't know yet what it really is.

5. All of my Fenders have high mass bridges; it started with my MIM J and trying to remedy the dead spots.
    Got a nice chrome plated brass unit off Amazon from Performance Music Company that about doubled the mass. Some people will tell you that all you are doing is just moving the dead spots, but whatever, this bass sounds and plays better with the heavier bridge. Did the same with my MIM Cowpoke; my MIA Boner J needed a Hipshot Kickass to also address alignment and spacing issues. Fortunately both of my MIJ basses came with the nice Fender Japan high mass bridges.

Bass V likes this.
  6. rossamc

rossamc

Jul 20, 2017
    I recently bought a Fender MIM Precision. Played it for a few weeks at home, all seemed fine. Took it to rehearsals for the first time this week. Horrible dead spot on the 7th fret on the G string.

Brought it home and played it. Dead spot gone. I know I didn’t imagine it as our guitarist noticed it too. Is this even possible?

saabfender likes this.
  7. VTBass

VTBass

Nov 16, 2018
    Athens, Greece
    4th fret on G string on a 4string Squier CV J

8. jbrew73

jbrew73

Dec 24, 2006
    I had a light weight p body bass with the e note up and down the neck that was dead. I swapped the body to a j style that was fairly heavy and the dead spots went away.

Even though we often blame the neck this situation tells me that it can be the body or more likely a combination of the 2. I have not tried that body with any other necks to validate if the body alone was to blame.

hypercarrots likes this.
  9. mrb327

mrb327

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    Nobody Knows
    I hunt for the dead spot before it goes home. The one I have now is significantly better than most I’ve owned

10. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    None of my current basses have overt deadspots (knocks on wood ...or, better still, knocks on graphite) but way back in the late 1970s I had a Gibson Ripper that had a deadspot so severe that going from G natural to Gb on the low E string resulted in a >20dB drop in level!

11. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    los angeles
    if you find out why, let us know...

12. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Did you try playing that same note (notated D above middle C but sounding 8vb) anywhere else on the neck? If the problem only occurred on the 7th frt of the G string it's a mystery; but if all of those D notes disappeared in rehearsal and reappeared at home, it's a room mode -- an acoustic anomaly common to small rectangular spaces -- at your practice space.

rossamc and hypercarrots like this.
  13. Aeolian

Aeolian

Jun 28, 2018
    Besides the classic dead spot on fret 5-7 on the G string I have noticed this, and it bugs me even more than the G string.

For many people sustain isn't an issue, but I play lots of whole notes sometimes held for 2 bars, so for me it is important. Some basses have what I would call weaker spots (not dead) on fret 5-6 on the E string (a little weaker tone with less fundamentals and a little bit less sustain, a useful tone can be held for like 4-6 seconds before its unusable.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Bass V likes this.
  14. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii