Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dead Spot on Carvin BAssKit

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by j3b3r, Mar 11, 2004.

1. j3b3r

j3b3r

Aug 19, 2000
    Hello Everyone

I've just finished my Carvin BK4.
    But I found Dead spot on E String 3th fret.
    Is there anyway to fix this out ?? Anyone know what's wrong with my bass ?
    I'm using Carvin strings and everything is stock from carvin.
    thx ^^

2. That's kind of odd. Normally the bolt-on "dead spot" is at (or near) the 5th fret on the G string. Is the 3rd fret possibly ever so slightly higher or lower than the others so that you don't get a solid contact when the string contacts the 3rd fret?

3. Fo' Shizzle

Fo' Shizzle

Aug 28, 2003
    I built one of these and had no problems. I'll bet you have a broken string core. Change strings and see what happens.
    Fo'

ps.... Have you been in touch w/ carvin tech support? Worth a try.

4. Yep, I would say this is very unusual. Carvin necks have ebony fretboards, 2 CF reinforcement rods and a tiltback headstock. These features are plenty different from the usual Fender style neck so the usual deadspot shouldn't exist at all. I would do as lonote suggests and get with Carvin.

5. mgood

mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    Carvin neck-throughs commonly have a slight dead spot around the 7th fret of the G string. Some are more noticeable than others. I haven't heard much about dead spots on their bolt-ons. My (bolt-on) B4F is the only bass I have where I have not found a dead spot. Go figure.

Carvin basses and guitars have a five-year waranty. I'm not sure if kits are included in that. At worst, you have a two-year waranty, maybe five. Call and find out and talk to them about the problem.
    1 (800) 854-2235
    If you got a bad neck, you got a bad neck. They'll replace it.

6. j3b3r

j3b3r

Aug 19, 2000
    I have changed the strings. But it still there.

I must say, it's not really a dead spot. coz dead spot doesnt resonate.
    It's still resonate, but the sound is thin and weak. compare to 2nd or 4th frets. could it be the fret ?

One more thing, my carvin comes with J99 and HB2 pickup, alder body.
    I found out that the sound is a bit thin and bright. It's really hard to get a round and fat tone out of it.
    Will replacing pickups fix this ??
    I know a fender with the same body wood(alder), maple neck and rosewood has a very round and fat tone. I want this tone from my carvin, coz I hate to lose the lightweight body and comfort neck feel.