Dead Spot on Carvin BAssKit

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by j3b3r, Mar 11, 2004.

1. j3b3r

Aug 19, 2000
    Hello Everyone

I've just finished my Carvin BK4.
    But I found Dead spot on E String 3th fret.
    Is there anyway to fix this out ?? Anyone know what's wrong with my bass ?
    I'm using Carvin strings and everything is stock from carvin.
    thx ^^
  2. That's kind of odd. Normally the bolt-on "dead spot" is at (or near) the 5th fret on the G string. Is the 3rd fret possibly ever so slightly higher or lower than the others so that you don't get a solid contact when the string contacts the 3rd fret?
  3. Fo' Shizzle

Fo' Shizzle

Aug 28, 2003
    I built one of these and had no problems. I'll bet you have a broken string core. Change strings and see what happens.

ps.... Have you been in touch w/ carvin tech support? Worth a try.
  4. Yep, I would say this is very unusual. Carvin necks have ebony fretboards, 2 CF reinforcement rods and a tiltback headstock. These features are plenty different from the usual Fender style neck so the usual deadspot shouldn't exist at all. I would do as lonote suggests and get with Carvin.
  5. mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    Carvin neck-throughs commonly have a slight dead spot around the 7th fret of the G string. Some are more noticeable than others. I haven't heard much about dead spots on their bolt-ons. My (bolt-on) B4F is the only bass I have where I have not found a dead spot. Go figure.

Carvin basses and guitars have a five-year waranty. I'm not sure if kits are included in that. At worst, you have a two-year waranty, maybe five. Call and find out and talk to them about the problem.
    1 (800) 854-2235
    If you got a bad neck, you got a bad neck. They'll replace it.
  6. j3b3r

Aug 19, 2000
    I have changed the strings. But it still there.

I must say, it's not really a dead spot. coz dead spot doesnt resonate.
    It's still resonate, but the sound is thin and weak. compare to 2nd or 4th frets. could it be the fret ?

One more thing, my carvin comes with J99 and HB2 pickup, alder body.
    I found out that the sound is a bit thin and bright. It's really hard to get a round and fat tone out of it.
    Will replacing pickups fix this ??
    I know a fender with the same body wood(alder), maple neck and rosewood has a very round and fat tone. I want this tone from my carvin, coz I hate to lose the lightweight body and comfort neck feel.