Dead spot on neck ??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mulepods, Mar 6, 2006.

1. mulepods

mulepods Guest

Feb 20, 2006
    I just got a new MIM Fender Jazz Bass Active Deluxe. It sounds great...except for one thing. The 5th fret on the G string (the D) sounds dull. No sustain and less volume. All other notes sound fine. The other strings sound perfect at the 5th fret.

Does this mean the bass is whack? Bad neck or something?
  2. Do a search, please! Let's just say you aren't the only one with this problem.
  3. Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    That's a common dead spot area for many basses (B-D# on the G-string).
  4. flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    Yeah it's classic for fenders to have a dead spot around c/d area on the g string. My pbass has it at the c. On some recordings youc an actually guess the key just by listening for the dead spot on the fender bass. But I still love my pbass.
  5. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Ii is pretty common on Fenders. You might want to try a different gauge string. I normally use 45-105. Never had a dead spot until I tried a 50. Then a dead spot at the fourth fret, went back to 45, dead spot gone.
  6. oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    On my MIA Jazz, If I tune down a half step the D on the G string is pretty dead. Sounds OK with standard tuning.
  7. mulepods

mulepods Guest

Feb 20, 2006
    Yeah, I should have done a search on this. Plenty of other threads about this problem. Oops.

Anyway, I have another identical Jazz bass that I'm about to return to MF because the color is I took it back out of the box and played it. Guess what? Exact same problem at the exact same fret.
  8. marthasvinyard

Feb 28, 2006
    Unfortunatly, a more than common problem...I got rid of a couple Music Man Sting Rays because they not only had a week g string output, which is known by EB, but dead spots as well. Don't go to the EB web, they avoid this and name call....whatever.....:rollno: