1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dead spot question

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Hevy T, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    Would twisting a string when installing cause dead spots?

I installed a set of black beauties on my iby and the d and g strings seem to have little sustain. I had the strings on another bass for a week or two but sold the bass and kept the strings. So they are badically new. Also the iby never had any dead spots before tbe switch to the bb strings.

2. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    Any one?

3. Zootsuitbass

Zootsuitbass

Mar 13, 2011
    Strings CAN always cause them.. it's the first thing to look at.

If it's the C# on a fender I bet you just never noticed before.

4. Usually dead spots are in the construction of the bass and it's materials, ie: knots in the wood. They don't usually appear because of a twisted string *usually*. Doesn't mean it won't happen.

That being said, it's best to keep your strings untwisted as you're putting unecessary stress on the string. Just loosen it up to the point that the ball end can turn at the end of the bridge, and let it freely rotate itself into its preferred position.

5. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Put the old strings back on and make sure it goes away. If so, then try the BB's again but be careful not to twist them. I have a little swivel keychain that will hook to the ball end of the string. I just hook it and pull away from the bridge and the string untwists/won't twist while tuning up. Works great