Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dead Spot

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CreatioN, Nov 23, 2003.

1. Hey all, This is my first post and hopefully not my last. Looks like a good forum here.

My Question: I have a 5-String OLP Musicman. I think it has a dead spot on the G-string. When I play the first 2/3 frets it sounds normal, but on the 5th fret (C)the sound dies out fast. Sounds flat, totally awfull. BUT!, that's only when I turn the gain down. With the gain all the way up it sounds normal.

Is there anything that could be done to stop this? It's the only big flaw I can find on this bass. I like it, for the price...

Can someone help me?!?!?!?????

2. WELCOME TO TALKBASS!
    [​IMG]

Buy a new bass.

Almost all basses have dead spots and most people just learn to live with them.

You notice it, but your audience will not. Maybe in the studio it will be more apparent when soloed but a good engineer can EQ around it.

I have heard others recommend this device called a "Fat Finger".

I do not use one but you might be interested in it.

http://www.americanmusical.com/item.asp?UID=&item=GRO+FFBC

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Treena

3. i think i've only been here for about 3 days and I've come to relise that Treena has a smiely for every thing ... and i thought i was bad with MSN emoticons ...

[/|\]

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'll second the Fat Finger, always comes in handy for those dead spots. You know they work especially when Billy Sheehan has one on his main basses. Just make sure you get the bass version which weighs 20% more than the guitar version. I have one, it works really nicely on my MIM P-Bass as well. But it adds a bit of neck dive.

[​IMG]
    Tim (Sorry Treena, just had to)