1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dead Spot

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Bass2Live, Apr 18, 2006.

1. I've got a G&L SB-2 and just strung it with Thomastik-Infeld Electric Bass Nickel Flat Wound Roundcore 4 String, .043 - .100. I noticed a dead spot on the G strings 7th fret. The natural harmonic won't sustain either. What can I do to remedy the problem?

Thanks,
    Trigg

2. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    Threaded inserts.

3. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    Threaded inserts?

4. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    GT Fat Finger does help. It clamps on, and is quickly removable. It does not harm the finish or dent the wood. Sustain is also increased a bit.

I think the basic idea of the fat finger is that by adding Mass to the headstock end of the neck (which is less massive than the body end), the damping of the standing wave of the vibrating string by the neck and body is changed (phase shifted?) so that the dead spot moves much closer to the bridge, and is no longer "on" the fingerboard. This is similar to what is done to counter wolf tones on violins, violas, celli, and double basses, although those weights are added near or on the tailpiece.

I use a fat finger on my 2001 Fender Jazz (60's Classic), and it does help, although technique can do a lot, too. I wonder if the lighter guage of the TI flats might also contribute to the problem.
    Hope this helps.

-Jim

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Fat Fingers help quite a bit. Frankly, when I made my Billy Sheehan wife clone, I routed out a bit too much around the neck and really lost sustain. Fat Finger fixed it right up and took care of my dead spot in the same place as yours.

6. demolition

demolition Guest

Jul 5, 2003
    Conn.
    Its a common occurence in Fender designed necks,during my last few years as a bass tech I noticed its mostly(always in my exp.though it may not be true to yours)that its always(meaning compaired to and not every one) in the American made necks all my japanese ones including my customers dont seem to have dead spots,its more so in the american made ones.
    I have compaired necks that have them to ones that dont and its the ones that have a thicker neck up by the headstock/nut area that carry the dead spot and the ones with thinner necks by the nut dont have the 7th fret dead zone.
    There are a few ways to get around it and all the ones listed seem to cover all the tricks I know so goodluck.:bassist: