Dead spots: Cirrus

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chick Bass, Jan 1, 2003.

1. Chick Bass

Chick Bass

Jan 1, 2003
    Missouri USA
    hi all,
    I just got a new Cirrus for Christmas.
    It has the maple fretboard. I wanted a new high end bass because I am always having trouble with dead spots on the necks. They drive me crazy.
    Anyhow, I changed my strings because I don't like the Cirrus strings. ( I prefer nickle less finger squeak) I use DiAdderio Nickle strings.
    Ok to the point.
    My Peavey has two weird spots the B note on the 9th fret D string (very dead no sustain) and a funky sounding D note ot the 5th fret A string. My Ibanez has EXACTLY the very same sounding note problems in the SAME postions. What are the odds of that happening? On a 400.00 Ibanez EGD and the 1,200.00 Peavey.
    I am beginning to think it is the strings? Maybe?

Thanks Bass chick
  2. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    I just plugged in my Cirrus, and I don't have those spots on the 9th and 5th frets. Is your cirrus 4, 5, or 6 string? Mine is a 4 string, and i use Labella Slappers... so it may be the strings, since I don't have the problem. You might want to post something in the strings forum as well.

P.S.- Santa must kick ass at your house.

EDIT- You might want to let your new bass break in for a little while before you declare those dead spots.
  3. Chick Bass

Chick Bass

Jan 1, 2003
    Missouri USA
    4 string.
    Santa is very cool at my house :cool:
  4. i don't have a cirrus, but I now that deadspots are possible on any fingerboard made of wood. I believe that the only way to avoid deadspots is graphite neck. On my bass there is a deadspot under the G-string 5th fret.

Congrats on your new bass
  5. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    FYI - The Cirrus strings are nickel roundwounds. What kind of D'Addario strings did you install?
  6. rickreyn

rickreyn Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I would better describe most dead spots as dull spots, where the note just doesn't ring out or sustain as others do. The only truly dead spot I've experienced is on an Ibanez Erodyne bass. DOA. If your Cirrus truly has a dead spot, that would be grounds for return IMO, if possible. I had some dull spots on my Cirrus, but nothing serious enough to declassify it from "high end." On the two best basses I've owned (Elrick and Lakland) were some quasi dull spots in the neighborhood of your problems, so this area may be suspect on all non-graphite necked basses. String changes do nothing to fix this. I good pro setup can minimize the problem, but will not fix it either.
  7. rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Nowadays I am very hesitant to get a bass without all the features that would limit the possibility of dull spots. I sold my Ibanez Gary Willis fretless because the general spot on the neck you mentioned was so much less responsive than the rest of the bass. My Lakland with graphite reinforcement, quartersawn neck and string through option limit the chances IMO of the presence of these issues. The Cirrus with the 5 piece neck, neck through and graphite reinforcement should be similar in quality.
  8. Well if UPS decides to leave it tomorrow, I will have a 6 string Cirrus. It better not have dead spots. I have found on my P basses that they have some odd spots on the neck, but it seems that if I put new strings on them those spots dissappear and others appear!? I think it all comes down to strings and sometimes the room your in. Where we practice the (octave E) 12 fret on the E string, just about vibrates the house down, but when I play out it dosen't do it. Same with dull spots. Try moving your amp around, setting it different.

Or like me pop in the ear plugs and turn it all the way up!!
  9. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Chick Bass,

I think dead spots, or dull spots as rickreyn aptly described them, are something you may as well accept as a fact of life.

I've heard many people complain about dull spots on a variety of brands. Personally, I have two basses each with its own dead spot on the G string (one at C# and the other at D).

Think of it this way: Usually you are playing fast enough so you don't need endless sustain. And if you do have to play a whole note where you have a dull spot, just compensate by playing the same note at a different octave!!!;)
  10. rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    The only dull spot on my Lakland is the Eb on the G string. It decays faster than the other strings, but is not at all an issue. I agree about the fact that you don't notice it as you play along, especially fast sequences. The reason I was so bothered by the GW1 was that I was trying to play melodically with legato. Dead or dull notes don't work well on that kind of stuff.
  11. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Haven't noticed any dead or dull spots on my Cirrus. And ebozz is correct, the Cirrus strings are nickle roundwounds.
  12. Chick Bass

Chick Bass

Jan 1, 2003
    Missouri USA
    Thanks for all the input.

As to the nickle wound Cirrus strings unless I read it wrong on the Peavey web site under their Cirrus strings listed there it says that they are steel strings and not nickle.
    I 'll check again. But I do know that the Cirrus strings are a rough feeling string. Very coarse compared to others and to me they sounded brighter. Which could account for the fact that I did not notice the dead spot with those strings on.

I have thought about switching to the Tomastik-enfeld (sp?) I have always wanted to try those but according to Bass Northwest it takes a special set-up to use them?
    I don't know why that would be.

By the way I did e-mail Peavey's customer service just to see what they say about the dead spot.

Thanks again
  13. Chick Bass

Chick Bass

Jan 1, 2003
    Missouri USA
    Just went to the Peavey site and under the Cirrus strings the package says "Nickel" wound but the description for the 4 set and the 5 set is "stainless steel"
    So who knows? I guess it is both?
  14. Chick Bass

Chick Bass

Jan 1, 2003
    Missouri USA
    Ok third post in a row...sorry about that.

I actually have been told that the only way to avoid dead spots is the Pao Ferro fret board.
    Which did not come on my model.
    I would rather have had that but I am not complaining.
    I still like the bass. I just am going to have to learn to live with the dead spot.
  15. BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    My Cirrus hasn't given me any problems. Perhaps taking it to a local guitar tech, and having him adjust you're Cirrus Neck and action would help. Was this bass shipped from a different climate? This could be the cause, and would need an adjustment.

When you recieve a bass from some where else with a different climate/humidex. The bass will need to be set-up by a guitar tech in your local area, to adjust to the climate. It takes around 2-3 years to settle in quite nicely with the climate you live in. I was told by my guitar tech who does our bands instruments.

Also what tuning are you in? Does it do it with other tunings?
  16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

My Cirrus 6 has an ebony fingerboard. I don't have any dead spots, but there are a couple of places on the G and C string that have less sustain than everywhere else, but it's not near as noticeable as it is on my other basses.

FWIW, composite neck basses can have dead spots too. My Zon doesn't have a true dead spot, but the C on the G string has a noticeable lack of sustain.
  17. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    My understanding is that dead spots are caused by the offending note being at the same resonant frequency of the neck. I don't see how a different fretboard wood would guarantee freedom from deadspots, though conceivably it could result in a different resonance.

There are ways to spread the spot, make it less noticeable, though it's hard to get rid of it entirely.

There's a product called the 'fat finger,' which is a brass clamp that adds mass to the headstock and can spread the spot pretty thin. It can make a difference, though many people feel it's a very small improvement, if at all. Might be worth a try anyway...

Hope it improves. Maybe after a few string changes it will settle in.
  18. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Don't put too much stock in the Peavey website right now. There are a lot of inaccuracies on it. They did an overhaul of the site a few months back and it hasn't been the same since then. The Cirrus strings are nickel and I agree with you that they have somewhat of a coarser feel when they are new. After they are broken in, they have a different feel to them.

Still, I prefer the D'Addario Slowound SW2000 5SL sets on my bubinga/walnut Cirrus 5 with a pau ferro board. The long scale D'Addarios were not long enough for my tastes. I tried a few of the Thomastik-Infeld sets and they weren't for me. You could have a more positive reaction to them though.

Which wood combination did you get with your Cirrus?
  19. Chick Bass

Chick Bass

Jan 1, 2003
    Missouri USA
    hi Charles,
    It is Bubingaover Walnut and Mapel/Walnut 5 peice neck. It has a mapel fretboard.
  20. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Cool! I like the tone of that bubinga but I've never seen one with a maple fretboard. Congrats!