Dead spots in carbon fiber reinforced necks.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vene-nemesis, Dec 20, 2005.

1. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Well after 6 moths of playing the vigier i noticed that maybe it can have an awful dead spot in the E string or something like that.

Let me explain it: acusticaly and plugged i can hear a difference between the open A and the A on E string last one sounding a little bit muted. It happend with Warwick black labels, the strings it came with, and now with Sadowsky nickels. And another weird thing is that when the string lose a little bit of brightness the difference is harder to notice.

It only happends on E string having all other strings perfect (i belive that dead spots seem to affect more than just 1 string for example some fenders with dead spots have them in 5th and 7th fret in G and D strings).

After thinking about it i came to 3 possiblecauses of the problem:

1st It has a dead spot and i will have to live with that.

2nd The break angle of the string at the bridge (it has through boddy stringing and has an almost 90º angle where the string sits in the saddle) damages the string core. Patrice Vigier told me to use good strings (ernie balls he suggested) before i do anything else thats why i came up with this conclussion.

3rd The frets are just way too worn and flat and that makes my E string intonate badly at some notes even though it is perfectly intonated (12th fret harm VS 12th fret note).

What do u guys think???
  2. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    What you describe is perfectly normal and doesn't sound like a dead spot to me. I don't think I've ever played a bass on which the the open A and the same note at 5th fret E sound "identical". A thicker, shorter string is always going to sound different to a thinner, longer one even if they're vibrating at the same frequency.

The same is true for comparing any open string to the same note fretted elsewhere on the neck, it's just more noticeable lower down in the range of the instrument.

Stop worrying and enjoy your bass, I'm sure it's a beaut!
  3. In order to tell if it is a dead spot you should be comparing the 5th fret on the E to the adjacent frets (4 and 6, etc). If it appears to have about the same amount of sustain as those then it isn't a deadspot.
  4. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    +1 to both Geoff and bill.
  5. There was an immediately noticeable difference in tone between the E and the A/D/G strings on the graphite-necked Vigier Passion I had -- the E was significantly rounder and fatter. I thought it meant the bass was intentionally voiced for slap playing, but that was just an assumption.
    E-mail Patrice, he's great.
  6. JasonLamb

Aug 17, 2007
    Welcome to the world of low string dead spots!...I am amazed that alot of people don't notice these..I have a fender usa jazz bass..A on the E strings sucks..50's classic precision G# sucks...Had the neck replaced by fender and guess what? NO CHANGE!!!! I've seen it on Bb too...That is just the way it goes. There is no solution, and while I agree 1,000,000 percent that you should not have to play a bass with frets that "don't work", this is pretty much how most, if not all basses will be.