Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dead spots in neck

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by River Gambler, Mar 24, 2005.

1. River Gambler

River Gambler

Feb 10, 2005
    Several of the basses I made have had dead spots on the fret board, all on the G string. The sound is compressed with no sustain. I glue the fretts in. Any ideas, suggestions? Thanks Tom

2. This is voodoo magic, my friend. Or as they say "the resonant frequency of the wood is the same as the note, so they cancel each other out" or something like that. Some people have come up with equally magical devices in the form of a brass clip on device that you put on your headstock and move around until the dead spot disappears. I've had 4 basses and built 2, all of them have had the dead spot on the E or F note on the G string right before the 12th fret.

I don't know if this is the same thing, but I was tapping on a maple fingerboard I just got, going down from one end to the other while tapping, and there is a small area where the tap is muted, dampened or dull sounding, all other tapped areas resonate deeply and sharply. Any ideas if this is related to dead spots?

Wilser.

3. andvari7

andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Ennui
    How far down? If it's about 15 or so inches down, and we assume it's a 34" scale, then I have to say that it IS related.

4. Yes, it's about 2 inches before the middle of the scale (I have built 34" and 35"). Has anybody got any idea on how to solve this? I remember reading about some manufacturers doing something to 'eliminate' dead spots. I just hope it wasn't on one of those graphite neck manifestos.