Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dead Spots

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Babs, May 12, 2001.

1. Babs

Babs

May 5, 2000
    Sandy Utah
    Hi I know I might not be posting this in the right section but I figure more people look here. This is my question, How do Dead SPots Happen?? Is it a flaw in the wood? Can changing the strings get ride of it? Is there any way of getting ride of them, my freind recently purchased a Warwick 5 String Frettless and it has a dead spot on the G string right on the 7th frett. He is thinking about taking it back and getting another one. thank you for all your help. (That I know you will post)

2. Edgar

Edgar

Nov 4, 2000
    Montreal, QC, CA
    They wont take is bass back, this is just normal.

3. holderman

holderman

May 25, 2000
    I think I've never played a bass without a dead spot on the G string. You have to live with it.

4. My mim jazz 5 seems ok on the g string, but seems dead on the e string at c &c#. I was thinking of trading it in on something else, but i am afraid i would only get one with a dead spot somewere else.
    Do even high end basses have dead spots?? that sure would be a bummer>
    eddie

5. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    how can you tell there is a dead spot? what do they sound like?

6. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    The note will not sustain as long as others, in severe cases very noticeable, in others its barely noticeable. Typical spot on a Fender is frets 5 to 7 on the G string. This can vary from bass to bass, what strings you're using, how the bass is setup, etc. When checking a new bass I will play every note on the fretboard to see how they sound.

7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

If it can be returned, I'd say do it. Warwicks cost too much for that. With the lower-cost Precisions, that's just accepted as a frequent problem. Some people almost like it, because it is so classicly, "Precision."

Some basses are freaks within their model, which is why we are always advising try before you buy even though the models tried are all the same. The combination of woods, string tension, body dimensions and all other kinds of voodoo makes a particular point/points on the fretboard hard or impossible to resonate.

8. about dead spots, im a wondering if when they glue the fretbord on the neck there is air bubbles formed so there is no glue at some points, causing the note not to resonate through the neck. Always seems to be the c to d area of the necks.

deadspots to ya
    eddie

9. my findings on the subject are;

dead spots are caused by the neck resonating;
    a particular note played happens to coincide with the resonant frequency of the neck and the result is the string's vibration gets dissipated (I'd guess all sorts of vibration phase cancellation with the bass body occurs) and doesn't sustain properly.

the resonant frequency and the position of the deadspot(s) on the fingerboard is influenced mainly by the mass of the neck and machineheads and also by the thickness of the neck.

a basic rule I've found is the more rigid the neck, the less severe the deadspots.

graphite neck basses should have no deadspots at all- the neck is very rigid and resonance is minimal.
    certainly the Status and Musicman Cutlass 1(stingray fitted with Modulus Graphite neck) basses I tried had no traces of deadspots anywhere on the neck.

I've also noticed that five-string basses with wide (wood) necks tend to be less deadspot-prone than the 4 string version- due to the greater stiffness of the neck by it being greater in cross-sectional area.

10. Edgar

Edgar

Nov 4, 2000
    Montreal, QC, CA
    I've got a Sadowsky V4, the dead spot on the G string is more than obvious. You just learn to live with it.

11. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    you can also use some sort of delay-distortion effect and hear the sustain of each note... i have one dead spot on G string also. (it´s a MIM Jazz)

let´s draw!! Sustain
    Normal Spot |-----------------------------------|
    Dead Spot |-------------------|

also i found one in one of the harmonics... and it's pretty annoying when playing Amazing Grace (JP)

i´ll try to post a sound example :D

12. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    How do you have a dead spot on the 7th fret of a fretless?

13. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    sun uv a beech! found one on my fender, the 8th fret g string.

14. The neck on my MIM Jazz doesnt have any dead spots.

15. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    or just plain luck :D:D:D