dead spots?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fretbuzz, Oct 15, 2001.

1. excuse my lack of knowlage, but i would like some opinions on the "dead spots" that i read about all the time. it seems like fender is a usual suspect and i guess my question is, how do i know if my jazz has them and can anything be done if i do? thanks in advance.
  2. If you have had the bass for more than a week, and, you play all over your fretboard, you would already know if you had a "dead Sport". However if you have a squire then your whole bass is probably a dead spot :eek:
  3. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    A dead spot is any area of the neck where the note played is "dead" in tone and volume as compared to other areas.

There are multiple causes. First, check to make sure it is not your strings causing this. If you still have dead spots after putting on new strings, it could be an area of the neck that is causing it.

Take it in and have a luthier (or a knowledgable bass tech) look it over and see if the neck needs adjusting or if some fretwork needs to be done. Also have the bridge looked at and adjusted. If it is a bolt-on (well it's a Jazz so it's a bolt-on) have it checked to make sure that the joint between the neck and the body is making good contact. Poor contact between the neck and body can have a detrimental effect on the tone in different spots in the neck (it may affect some areas and not others).

And...if it's a Squire...take it back and get a different bass. :)
  4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Originally, I opened this thread just to see which Fender was going to be mentioned :D ....but I may be able to actually help.

You'll just know if your Jazz has them because some note(s) will just seem to disappear - you'll be playing some notes that are full and resonant and suddenly every time you play a particular string, (usually D or G), on a certain fret, the note just sounds very weak, doesn't ring at all, has no sustain, almost like a muted note.

A Fatfinger will at least allow you to move the dead spot(s) around to a more acceptable part of the neck. It's a brass clamp that attaches to your headstock. It's wasn't created to affect dead spots but after it came out people found it did.

The only true solution I've seen mentioned is to get a new neck.

If all your notes sound even and resonate, I wouldn't worry about it.
  5. OjBinge

OjBinge Guest

Oct 5, 2001
    Cordova, TN
    Can dead spots also relate to harmonics? Sometimes, I'll try for several minutes trying to get a harmonic to sound, and then the next day it will be back to normal.
  6. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Sometimes what seems to be a dead spot can actually be fixed by having the frets leveled. That's what happened on my MIM Jazz.

Rick-about that Fender comment...LMAOROTF:D:D
  7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

RAM - You know I was telling the truth! If there are two chronic posts I love in "Basses", they're;

1. "...every time I play the G string on the fourth fret, no sound comes out.....can anybody tell me what I am doing's a Fender Precision......"

2. "...I get this buzzing bee noise all of the time....I hope it's not my amplifier......I have a Fender Jazz bass......"

It's like your first hangover - you never knew it went with the territory.

fretbuzz - Don't get me wrong. I have a beloved pre-CBS Precis.......I refuse to get the dead spot fixed. It's like a Labrador retriever loving to swim.
  8. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    That's why I laughed so hard!;)

I've been around here for 1-1/2 years, and have seen so many posts regarding the same thing! There are days I log on just because I need to shake my head in laughter;)

And, just to say it again, I have a MIM Jazz:D I know ALL about the stories, believe me! And, fortunately, mine were easy to fix: New bridge, level the frets, new pickups, adjust the truss rod, soon to be new tuners, and maybe a J-Retro. Lots of mods, I know. But, I bought it to be a project bass. Makes it more fun, I s'pose;)

And again...ROTFLMAO:D
  9. It happens with Stingrays too. I had a Stingray 4 that had an awful dead spot at the 5th fret. I sent it back!
  10. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Theoretically, it can happen on any bass, though far less likely with composite or graphite necks. Some basses have them in not-so-obvious places, such as between frets. In those cases, the only way you'd notice them is if you pulled out the frets and converted the bass to fretless.
  11. i got a squier p and didn't have any problems with dead spots. i only had a few problems with fret buzz, but now i raised the action and no more realĀ“problems now