Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

dead spots

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by zoodvm, Aug 9, 2002.

1. zoodvm

zoodvm

Aug 9, 2002
    Irvine/San Diego
    I own a Carvin 5 string fretless bass. I like it, but it has a dead spot on the G string at low D.

I have been playing for a long time, but I don't know squat about the bass as an instrument. This dead spot is driving me crazy, though it's not perceptible to those listening. Is there anything that you all know that can fix this, or do I need to look for another bass?

thanks

2. sorry this aint helpful but whats a deadspot i know nothin bout basses to

3. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    You cant fix a dead spot in the neck. A dead spot is a place where certain frequencies are absorbed so much that the pickup doesnt put any output from that note. Its the way the wood is. You cant fix it.

4. K thanx ill use that for if i mess up at shows
    ................i had a deadspot
    well 7

5. well, thats only true if it is indeed the wood. I had a dead spot once and it turned out to be a problem with the bridge. ONce a professional adjustment and fix was made, the spot went away. Could also need a truss adjustment.

Have you changed your strings lately? Dead string spots do occur. Try that first if you havent already.

If its none of these simpler things, than yes, the wood has absorbed your soul and wallet.

6. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    That sounds like a weird spot for a deadspot. It could, in fact, be that your frets are not properly leveled. A professional leveling may cure this problem...it did for my MIM Jazz.:D

7. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Its a fretless bass he's got. ? Is it that common for fingerboards not to be level?

8. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I've heard that putting a "Fat Finger," or a C Clamp, at various places on your headstock can eliminate dead spots.

9. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    D'OH!:oops:

See what happens when you don't read thoroughly?

10. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Its the Florida school system, dont blame me! :D :p

11. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Figures...my wife (who's from Orlando) catches me all the time.

I HATE Florida!:p

And, to make matters worse, that's where my buddy Gard is waiting to steal my lunch money, just so I can cure a little Elrick GAS!

12. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Figures...my wife (who's from Orlando) catches me all the time.

I HATE Florida!:p

And, to make matters worse, that's where my buddy Gard is waiting to steal my lunch money, just so I can cure a little Elrick GAS!

13. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Yeah, well Florida might suck alittle, it doesnt suck the big one for the U.S. Give that title to Texas. :p

14. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    For the record, I really do not hate Florida...just certain politicians who always seem to be involved in certain voting scandals...;)

Oh...and don't forget how restaurants in certain towns seem to be especially busy BEFORE 6:00 p.m.:D

But, the whole Texas thing...see my first point...;)

15. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    What are you talking about? Our beloved George W. is now in office. He won fair and square. :rolleyes:

The restaurants is due to an influx in elderly people during winter and a generally large amount of retirees. I just ignore them and run them off the road. They can suck up all the O2 they want out of their carry-around tanks as long as they don't fart, burp, throw up or do any other baby-like activity around me.

16. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Dead spots, a peculiar phenomenon associated with some wooden necks. Another good reason to go with graphite necks!

17. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Okay...Pd...:rolleyes:

18. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Yup...nothin' worse than standing in line in a restaurant behind a 92 year-old woman who's got some issues with...um...flatulence?:eek:

19. pd_5string

pd_5string Admin: Accnt Disabled

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    Not quite. It can happen on graphite necks too, just not as bad...What you hear is the fundamental decaying as you hear in the other notes, then instead of the harmonic one octave taking over, you hear the higher harmonics instead...three of my basses have dead spots, albeit small ones.

20. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

It can happen on any bass. I have a MIJ Fender Jazz Geddy Lee with a tiny wooden neck and no dead spots. I also have a very nice Pedulla Rapture J2 5 with a beefy neck. It has a slight dead spot in the classic spot that changes with the humidity. Sometimes it's not noticeable, other times it is.