Dead String Problem

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Razvaann, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Razvaann

Razvaann

Oct 20, 2016
    Hello. Recently I bought a second hand Squier Vintage Modified P Bass and I love it (previously I owned a MIM Jazz Bass, and I like the Squier more). When it arrived, the strings were awfully dead so I had to change them right away, which I did. I bought a set of Daddario EXL170 and strung the bass only to be unpleasantly surprised to find out that these new strings sound almost as dead too. There was no metallic sound that is specific to new strings. Fretted notes sound dead too, so I figured it's not the nut that is the problem. I changed the bridge with one that belonged to a Jazz Bass and the problem persists. I don't think it's the strings because they are round wound and labeled bright. Furthermore, there's no way they would sound like this brand new. Tomorrow I will buy a pack of Dunlop Super Bright strings, to be sure what the problem is, since I've used the Dunlops before. However, if the strings won't the problem, what could be the cause of this? I've had a similar problem with my Jazz Bass, too, but not to such an extent. On that bass, the strings were dead after about one week, which is still extremely fast, but at least they weren't dead right away like on the Squier. I would really appreciate your sugestions. Thanks!