Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dead String?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by megiddo, Aug 10, 2005.

1. megiddo

megiddo

Apr 5, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    :help:

I just had my MIM Jazz set up BEAD (see http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=184350 ). It's stung with a 5 string Rotosound Swing Bass 66 set minus the G string. Last night at rehearsal was the first time I really got a chance to see how things were working. I really like the way the B and E strings sound but the A string was weird. The tuning at open A was dead on and the tuning for A at the 12th fret was dead on as well, but all the notes in between were off. It started with B flat on the first fret!! When we were playing ANY note I played on the A string sucked. It was out of tune and had a very noticeable lower volume.

So here's my question. Is this typical for a dead string? My bass was strung with brand new out of the box strings. I've only been playing a couple of years and have been through several new sets of strings and never had this happen. So I'm not sure what's going on.

Does this just sound like a dead string issue to y'all or do you think it might be something else? The good news is that I had it strung with the same Rotosound strings only in the 4 string version before I made the conversion, so I'm going to pull the A string and replace it with one I know sounded good to see if that cures my problem. I'm just impatient and won't be able to tell much until I can plug in tonight.

Thanks for the help.