1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dead String?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by megiddo, Aug 10, 2005.

1. megiddo

megiddo

Apr 5, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    :help:

I just had my MIM Jazz set up BEAD (see http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=184350 ). It's stung with a 5 string Rotosound Swing Bass 66 set minus the G string. Last night at rehearsal was the first time I really got a chance to see how things were working. I really like the way the B and E strings sound but the A string was weird. The tuning at open A was dead on and the tuning for A at the 12th fret was dead on as well, but all the notes in between were off. It started with B flat on the first fret!! When we were playing ANY note I played on the A string sucked. It was out of tune and had a very noticeable lower volume.

So here's my question. Is this typical for a dead string? My bass was strung with brand new out of the box strings. I've only been playing a couple of years and have been through several new sets of strings and never had this happen. So I'm not sure what's going on.

Does this just sound like a dead string issue to y'all or do you think it might be something else? The good news is that I had it strung with the same Rotosound strings only in the 4 string version before I made the conversion, so I'm going to pull the A string and replace it with one I know sounded good to see if that cures my problem. I'm just impatient and won't be able to tell much until I can plug in tonight.

Thanks for the help.