1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

dead strings dillema

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by russ_4ft, Oct 31, 2001.

1. hey,
    Ok, i play bass in a punk band and i use my fingers to play. i keep finding that my strings die real easily. i brought some elites the other week and they lasted 2 weeks before they died. whats going on??

any suggestions on what i can do coz it costs me a fortune?

- Russ

2. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    I have the same problem. The solution seems to be elixir strings, because they never ever go dead. the only problem is they arent bright enough for my liking... but I guess Ill have to get used to that...

I had elixirs on my bass for 4 months and no going dead whatsoever. I took them off in favor of Ernie Balls, but they went dead after a 2 weeks. I should have saved my elixirs... :(

3. Washing your hands before playing and wiping your strings down with a clean cloth before and after playing seems to really work for me. You will see that advice quite a bit on TB.

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

What's "going on" is lower end strings are going on, IMO.

For punk, I'd suggest stepping up to DR Hi-Beams. If those die quickly, (which they won't), DR will give you a new set, IME. They're worth the price.

5. downstairs

downstairs

May 13, 2001
    Pasadena, MD
    get a large jar and some denatured alcohol, when your strings go dead, fit them into the jar, pour in the alcohol, and cap it off, let em sit for a while, like 6-7-8 hours, and take em out, (maybe pour the alcohol into a different container and save it for later) and let em sit in the air for a little, good as new!