1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

dead strings? how long do they last

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bassplayer48, May 12, 2006.

1. Hey all,
    how often do you sound strings i have just started using GHS boomers roundwound on my P bass and i like sound and tension howver like the rotosounds i used to use i find they loose thier sparkle pretty quickly. Particularly the E string.

I have boiled them up a pot of hot water before which does put some zing back into them however thay don't stay that way for long, and you only boil them up so many times bofre they start to snap.

Comments on differnt strings and how long you get out of them would be appreciated.

2. I usually get about 3 to 4 months use out of my strings till one snaps, then I just replace the whole set. I use Ernie Ball power slinkies

3. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    play 'em until they snap!! :bassist:

when one goes, it's usually time to change them all. if you like the way new strings sound, make sure you clean them after you play to help with their longevity. stainless steel will generally be brighter than nickel. boomers are nickel-plated steel. they kinda fall in between the brightness spectrum. something like a blue steel string will be the brightest sounding.

i personally like my strings to sound dead. i've found that rotosounds (stainless steel ones) have the best "dead" sound for rock & roll. but this is personal preference.

4. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Switch to flats. They were made for Precisions and last a whole lot longer than rounds.

5. Nico3535

Nico3535

Mar 8, 2006
    Florida
    I've only snapped one string in my 9 years of playing, so for me its virtually imposible to wait till that point. I really enjoy the way my bass sounds with new strings, it brings everything to life, but i also enjoy th esound i get from a dead string, it seems to have more soul. My solution is keep one bass with brights and one without. Its expensive to have good sound!

6. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Ain't that the truth...:meh:

7. burntgorilla

burntgorilla

Jan 24, 2005
    Belfast
    I've had my strings on my Geddy Lee since I got in, last August. They were doing fine for a while, but now I can barely touch my bass. It just sounds so awful, I've barely practiced in weeks. Still, payday today, so I can get new ones.

8. If I don't change my strings at least once a month I hate the sound. I guess I'm a cutting tone guy:p

Yes flatwound last a lot of time because they're never bright to begin with...

9. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Go with denatured alcohol instead of boiled water.

And personally, I like the older string tone...no annoying brightness :D

10. All this talk of 'snappin' is freakin' me out! Do you guys mean you are breaking strings when you say 'snap'? I can honestly say I have never had a string 'snap' or 'break' or 'become suddenly dis-united' 'spontaneously separated' or what have you... What are you guys doing to those strings? Are any or your last names, 'Scissorhands' or 'Kreuger'? LOL

11. kalle74

kalle74

Aug 27, 2004
    I use DR LongNecks on my Lakland. I like the sound of fresh strings, but my hands sweat alot, and will make a set of strings dead and dull in an hour, if I don´t wipe/wash them alot... Talk about expensive...! So, my only option is to boil them often...