Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

dead strings,,,, who killed them?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by heelflip86, Aug 12, 2001.

1. heelflip86

heelflip86

May 17, 2001
    yesterday i cleaned my bass strings with a stridex pad, i figure if it can get stuff off my face then it must be mild enough for my strings, well i dont know if my strings are too old or from cleaning then and it made them sound like that, but now my strings have barly any sustain, and it sounds like a stand up bass, i kinda like that sound now but i really like how much sustain i got before i tried to clean them what should i do? what happened to them?

2. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    You can either boil them, some people boil there strings, that brings back some life in them.

Or you can just buy a new set of strings ;)

W/best regards,
    Ivar

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    DON'T USE F**KING WATER!!!!

Use denatured alcohol or turpentine instead (not heated of course!!!).

Water will totally ruin the strings. You need a solvent that can take the fat off the strings.

Strange that this water myth is so hard too kill. :(

4. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Chill JMX :)

I just mentioned boiling because apparently some ppl use it with good success. Why? I don´t know, I don´t use it. If my strings sound lifeless or dead, I don´t bother with cleaning them with alcohol or something like that. I just buy a new set.

W/best regards,
    Ivar

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Ivar - Apparently, many people use the boiling thing with success. They use some kind of vinegar-water-something mixture and swear it brings back some of the brilliance. I never resorted to it. It is a very temporary fix from what I read.

6. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Ahh... That´s what I thought!

Thanks for the info...I didn´t know what exactly is used to boil them with. Not that I'm going to do it, just nice to know :)

W/best regards,
    Ivar

7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Sorry if I sounded too harsh - I just can't hear this boiling thing anymore. How come that things that obviously can't and don't work are so widely promoted.
    Sorry again!

8. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    No problem ;)

I too consider boiling a lousy way of reviving dead strings, but for people with little $$ this works as a temporary solution...maybe :)

W/best regards,
    Ivar