Dead strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by rangolf, Jan 18, 2004.

1. :confused: A friend loaned me his BC Rich bass an the D & G strings are as dead as Elvis. The E & A string's are fine, but the other two are dead uo & down the register. I'll be out of pocket as far as Talkbass is concerned, but I can take call's if anyone want's to call Thx. R.

I edited your posting. I think you meant to PM someone or meant it to be in the "For Sale". You can delete and repost there. Also if you were going to have this kind of post public you might want to leave your phone number out of the post.

Thanx Microbass for the heads up!!!!!!
  2. Umm.. don't really understand what you're saying?

But I think it'd be a very good idea to take off your phone number! :eek:
  3. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    This sounds like a setup question, that is if you are meaning that the strings sound dead down the fretboard.

Wrong forum :)
  4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    <small>*cough* new strings *cough*</small>
  5. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Cool man, I'll call you tonight, at about 2am!

P.S. I'll be using my alias..........Frank Rizzo. :eek: ;)
  6. Off to strings....

7. Hmmm dead strings, you could try boiling your strings. Heres how get a pot that you don't wanna use for cooking no more and fill it half the way up with water. Pour in a reasonable amount of vinegar in, say maybe a quarter cup or maybe less and once the water starts to boil, add your strings in and set it on high for about 15 minutes and turn your flames down and leave your strings in the pot for another 45 minutes on low fire. What this does is that the boiling water expands the strings and in turn the small little gap between your strings that usually collects all sorts of dirt, oil and dead skin cells and cleans them good while the vinegar acts as an acid that chews up all your rust and restores it back to a somewhat new condition. It works seriously but leave them out to dry overnight and pop them back on your bass the next morning. But don't do this more then twice ok. When you need new strings, you need new strings. Cheers...