Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

dead strings...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by frankencow150, Dec 17, 2001.

1. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    Ok this is my situation...

I got my squier deluxe p-bass on may 29 2001(i kept the reciept).Well,they came with the plain old nickel roundwounds.After about 4 months i got tired of them.I changed to a higher gauge flatwounds.Well i used those for the past 4 months.
    I got tired of them because they were so bad for slapping which i am gettin into now.So i put on my old strings.I completely forget the old tone,so i don't know if they sound dead or perfectly fine!To me they sound metallic,like when I play anything i get this metallic-like sound.Does this mean their dead.Well they probably were dead long ago because theyre atleast 8 months old,and you never know how long they were resting in the store for.Plus 4 months of just laying around can do some damage also,right?

So tell me by all that info if you think they're dead.And if they are im going to get some new nickel roundwounds.

2. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    It always seems to me that a Metallic sound means they are newer, and dead ones sort of have a thud to them and less gain.

3. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    whats gain?they sound metallic,but they sound kind of dull.I compared them to my brothers bass and his are just as old,but they sound better.and he has nickle roundwounds also.theyre just the factory ones that he got off of his hartke.

4. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    im guessin that ure new to this...as u dont know what gain is....but ill explain some stuff.
    if they sound metallic, then they are probably new. this usually is preffered for slap-pop style play. but sometimes people just want a smooth groove sound, this usually happens with time. ure brothers strings sound like this cos they are older.
    try turning the treble and prescence(if there is one) down on ure amp/bass, and se if that helps, if notm, just play alot, and your strings will "deaden" till they sound like this too.

5. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    ok im not sure if theyre dead or not.but i dont like the sound too much.im gonna go to my store on thursday,and ask the nicest guy there,that wont just try to trick me into buying new strings.I wanna buy new nickel roundwounds but i dont wanna buy them and find out that it didnt change the tone at all.

6. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    My strings do that aswell..When i teke them off for a few weeks they clean themselves somehow and sound new.
    But it depeneds what sound you want. If your just getting into slapping (like you said) these are the ideal strings for you to use.

If you DONT want this metallic sounds play with your fingers WITHOUT slapping for a few hours and by then you will have them duller sound to it.