Dead TI Powerbass after TWO DAYS!!!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by BassJunkie730, Dec 4, 2005.

1. BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Ok, so like many here I got turned on to TI powerbass strings. I had them on a warwick for about a month before I dumped the bass - but the strings were still powerful and bright (not super zingy but ballsy - which I really liked) So I thought I'd found my quintessential ROCK string.

Fast forward to now. I just finished a PJ build that I'm really proud of and I was getting lots of compliments on it's tone. The strings went on Thursday night. I played them for about two hours, went to bed. Took the bass to work, showed it off some guys played it - the stings still sounded alive. Played them in rehearsal friday night - beautiful tone out of my T-funk rig - so naturlaly I'm on a great tone high.
    Now yesterday I went in to noodle around with my guitarist. I plug the bass in and immediately the bass sounded dull. Not like the sound of the TI's when broken in - but like they are dead. Not even a good old school roundwound thud sound.

I also noticed that I had to drive my amp harder to get the same volume as the night before- another indication that the strings are dead.

I don't know what happened, All I know is that I checked everything and ran my rig the same both nights. But the tell tale sign was that the stings sounded completely dead when playing the bass acoustically. I'm not a slapper (even though I have some slap passages here and there - but I like a ballsy in your face aggressive tone. THe powerbass set was giving me that in the past.

Is it possible that I got a bump pack of strings from TI?

I have another set which I may put on because the bass was setup for the TIs.

I just don't understand. My brand new set of strings sounds like a dead set of cheap rounds now. I don't wipe the strings down after practice, nor do I sweat a long while playing. But I had now problems in the past with the other set, so what gives?

Any help or advice here is deeply appreciated.

2. BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Ok so a new development.

I just removed the string and they are spiraling like DNA strands - especially the E. I did leave the bass in my studio overnight. Mind you friday night NYC had a bit of a cold snap. THe studio stays heated but could this have done it? I have never pulled off strings (bass or guitar) that look like this. Hmmmm.

What's everyone's take on climactic changes and strings?
  3. Is your bass equipped with string-through body? Just wondering if the strings are breaking down due to acute angle going through the body.

My entire experience is with TI Flats, so no help to you on rounds. I bought a new set of PowerBass rounds a few years back, but have to install them. They are going into my L1500, as I'm tired of the SIT Stainless Clank.
  4. This is just a wild guess, but some while ago a tb'er had problems (modern growl I believe) with his a and e strings being dead almost from when he put them on. After talking to someone at La Bella strings he found out he installed the strings the wrong way. He was making the first windings by winding the string around the tuner post (or whatever it's called), and only turning the peg for tightening the string. This way he was twisting the strings lengthwise, from peg to bridge, and that kills them. From what you describe, this could have what happened to your strings. Just a guess.
  5. BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    BG- My bass has a top loading bridge

CA- I wind my strings pretty much the standard way (i think) I bend a pigtail and insert that into the fender style split post and wind to taste :) here's a pic

I threw another set of powerbass strings on sunday for a gig and monday, and now they are somewhat dead (not as dead as the first set) I wonder if these just have a steep break in time and then maintain their broken in tone forever. I just can't imagine how different the strings sound from being fresh to having about three hours of hard playing on them.

I do kind of like the tone - but I'd rather get flats for the strong fundamental sound. I want rounds to sound like rounds. I wonder if TI actually makes an aggressive string that holds some zing. I actually wiped down the strings after my monday gig - and they still lost their zing.

Hmmm. I have anothe bass with Pro steels and they were really bright (too much at times) and they got progressively more dull over time - but it was much more gradual than the powerbass.

I'll take any suggestions on the what you think is the quintessential rock string.

Thanks guys,

6. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Since you are using the "zingy-est" TIs I think that the answer is "no, they don't make anything with more zing". Pretty much every set of bass strings I have ever used lost that "new string zing" in a day or two. TI users are more likely to look forward to their strings mellowing out, sometimes extremely.

I've done setup work for a few guys who loved that new string sound and they kept their budget in check by buying in bulk, changing strings right before their gig, and then playing them out for a week or so afterward.

FWIW, I consider Rotosounds to be the quintessential rock string.
  7. I recorded my TI Flats when they were installed new in 2000, then recorded them again (11/2005) after 5 years of playing.

The tone did indeed flatten out a bunch. The aged TI Flats are very "woody" sounding and much more staccato than when fresh. Very upright sounding.

I don't know if there is more "fundamental" in flats or not. The most recent recordings I did that have a huge bottom are DA EXL-220, broken in, on my P-bass. I've not done spectral analysis on this, even though I now have the ability to do so.
  8. Your installation of strings looks fine. The important thing is not to wind the string around the post with your hand. Turn the peg.

About break-in time I've wondered if some strings has so prominent mids that when the zing fades away just a little, the mids tend to "take over" making to strings sound dead, even if they're not. My Blue Steels break in pretty fast and get the warm fat sound I like. Others think they just die. Hi-Beams doesn't have so complex prominent mids as the Blue Steels and they seem to retain their zing longer, simply because the high frequencies still are louder than the lower ones, even when they loose their initial zing. Technically I don't think either string hold their physical integrity longer than the other. It's just a question of what kind of sonic degradation you like, so to speak. And you seem to like the highs to stay above the mids for longer than the Powerbass strings alows.

As for rock strings I'll second Roto's, though ProSteels sound like a good choice based on the reviews I'm reading. Others might be Hi-Beams or Lo-Riders. I of course love my Blue Steels but they might loose their zing too fast for you.

Psst... if it's the firstday virgin-zing you're in love with, then remember the alcohol trick :ninja: