Dead tone on one sorta fretted note...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by JAL, Mar 3, 2005.

1. JAL

Dec 15, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Hey all.
    Got a problem. on the g string, where the 8th fret WOULD be (its a frtlss) there is a dead note...its very quited and almost muted. Can someone explain this and offer a remedy?
  2. How old are your strings? If old, try a new set. I had this problem with my fretted with older strings. I had one dead note. New strings cured that.

If your strings are new, you might be having the dead note because the neck is resonating at that note's frequency.
    Some basses will sometimes have a bad note somewhere.

I've seen a gadget called a FAT FINGER that attaches to the headstock, sorta how a small C-clamp would attach. What it does is add "mass" to the headstock. You move it around the headstock until you find the sweetspot that keeps the neck from resonating. You then snug it up and leave it there.
    Here's some info on that if you want to check it out.

3. JAL

Dec 15, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    They are old strings, but i aint changin em...there gettin sweet :)/
    That fat finger thing sounds good; im gonna check it out. tanks for the advice.
  4. Bob Rogers

Bob Rogers Left is Right

Feb 26, 2005
    Blacksburg, Virginia
    Here is a very cool scientific paper on dead spots in guitar and bass necks. Yours is in a very typical spot. I had an EB3 slothead back in the 70s that had so many dead spots I named it after a girl that I had dated for a while. Sold it long ago.