1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Deaf basses...(pun very much intended-see inside)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by *insertcoolname, Apr 17, 2009.

1. I was just pondering this and wondered what the rest of the TB community had to say.

I read a lot of the threads on here and notice that most of the time when someone posts a thread asking what bass they should get or something to that effect, many people respond with "the bass that speaks to you." Now, I own an HH 'Ray and I absolutely adore it. Everyday I plug it in I'm impressed with the tone, feel and look. However, the first couple of 'Rays I played didn't really impress me much at all. And on top of that the very first time I played this bass, it wasn't like I noticed a huge difference. I guess over time I've come to realize how great an instrument it is and how much I love it.

So, my question is, anyone out there who feels like their favorite instrument didn't "speak" to them the first time they played it?

2. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Nope. My Geddy felt and sounded perfect the first time, and still does. My Peavey is the same way.

Now my old Fender, the one I sold for the Geddy, didnt feel right when I bought it, and didnt when I sold it.

I guess I havent had an in between yet.

3. I was never a big P-Bass fan, but then it hit me and I had to have it. It's been love ever since.

4. I have always liked J basses over P basses but recently I have "seen the light" and now I am GASing for a P bass pretty badly.

I guess some basses just need to grow on some people.