1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Deal Dillema! Mesa Vs. Avatar

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nightcityburn, Apr 24, 2010.

1. So I normally wouldn't do this, but I am in a huge pinch.

I have the opportunity to buy 2 different cabs.

An older Avatar 410 loaded with Deltas for $270 or

a Mesa Boogie Powerhouse 6x10 for $500. Located a 4 hour round trip drive away, but may be well worth the drive.

I have the money for both, but would like to save it. I am considering the resale value of the cabs. I am pretty sure I could resell the Avatar for what I pay, and I know the Mesa I could make money off of, if need be.

Both cabs will suit my style of playing, I am just looking to make the best decision and would like an outside opinion.

2. brett7276

brett7276 Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Indianapolis
    mesa hands down...heavy to move but tone tone tone

3. Anyone else?

4. tifftunes

tifftunes Guest

The Mesa will no doubt have the better resale value... But I'd take the Avatar... Less money and time invested, smaller and lighter to haul (though not much!). Make a couple hundred from gigs, and whatever you get on resale is a bonus!

5. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    The Mesa is worth the drive - is it the newer 610? The Newer Powerhouse cabs are quite heavy, but I also agree the tone is quite worth it. The volume those things put out is amazing!

I don't think the Avatar is a bad choice - I don't have experience with them though.

6. a boogie 6x10 for five hundred....in a heartbeat

7. KsPiNeSh

KsPiNeSh

Mar 28, 2008
    Kansas City
    If you have a vehicle to move it, Mesa. No contest.

8. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Absolutely. Mesa is pure class and quality, not that Avatar isn't, but between the 2, the Powerhouse will smoke it.

9. That is what I am thinking. The cab isn't that huge, really. It actually only measures 7 inches taller than my 2x12 and 3 inches deeper.

The final kicker is I can get an Ampeg 410-HLF for $400 locally also.

10. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    The Ampeg 410HLF is a low end giant, but unless you use it with the 3 PRO, the cab really lacks midrange punch and articulation. The Avatar and Mesa would have a better tone in the midrange.

11. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Mesa. The tone!

12. I don't own those exact cabs, but I do own both Mesa and Avatar.

The Mesa will eat the Avatar for lunch - no question !

13. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    PH610 no question. And TBH, the newer 610's are nothing in weight and PITA-to-move compared to the old Diesel ones!!

14. Honestly, 100 lbs isn't bad. Weight has never been an issue, seeing as my first bass cab was a Megoliath. Got that for a steal also.

15. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    The one I would go with starts with an M...and ends in -esa.

16. I think I am getting the point here. It is worth throwing in the extra $200 and getting a Mesa.

I figure if I don't like, or if it is too much cab for my needs, I will ditch it and make some money. Worst I can do is break even.

17. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Yeah you should easily break even with $500 into that cab.

For that $$ tho, make sure the input jacks work properly and all the drivers are solid. That's almost a too good to be true deal! If not, rawk it! :bassist::bassist:

And my Berg is also right around 100lbs and I agree it's pretty manageable.

18. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    It's not a dilemma, dude. It's a no-brainer... :meh:

MM

19. Yeah, its at a Guitar Center, so I get to run it through its paces while I am there, assuming it is still there when I arrive tomorrow. It is actually $480 after a $50 item discount and taxes. I am pretty excited about it.

20. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    NIce man make sure and post in the Boogie Club thread when you get it!