1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Deal Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Hot Deals' started by Ryan L., Oct 19, 2013.

1. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Use this thread to discuss the deals you got, the level of service, etc, at places such as Amazon, MF, Bass Strings Online, etc.

Treat this one sorta like the "Aguilar Cab" thread that's going on here, and let's keep the deal threads restricted to posts mentioning the actual deals only.

Thanks!

2. R&B

R&B Both kinds of music: Rhythm AND Blues! Supporting Member

A few "JMHO, YMMV" observations from a retail connoisseur:

Amazon: Old Reliable. Occasional breathtaking deals. Can't beat Prime for shipping. Sales tax now in many states. Inflexible return policy, 31 days and it's yours! Overall hard to beat from a consumer perspective. Killing the Mom and Pop music stores.

Bass Central: One transaction. Nice on the phone. Highish price, shipped quickly. Two day (!!!) return policy. Was promised a light bass and got a heavy one. Beautiful though. Kept it. Oh well. Moving on.

Bass Strings Online: The bomb! Jason is a TB member. Ask for VIP status and you'll see the discount TB price. Lightning fast shipping and email response.

HelloMusic: Usually OK for small-ticket items, though shipping charges and CA sales tax take a toll. Alluring photos, website difficult to navigate, tempting prices. They ship some stuff right away, other stuff late or not at all. They charge your credit card right up front. Customer service is spotty to non-existent (read their Terms of Service :eek:). Heaven help you if you need to do a return. Beware!! YMMV of course.

Musicians Friend/Guitar Center/Music123/WoodwindBrasswind: All the same company, shipping mostly from the same warehouse in Kansas. Mostly street price listed on the site, free shipping after a minimum purchase; they will frequently offer 12-15% off with sales, coupons, or if you call. Very occasionally 20% off. Returns are not overly difficult. GC stores will accept returns for Interwebz purchases (GC.com only), very handy. The Stupid Deal of the Day email from MF is addictive. If you see a desirable used item on M123, CALL! They may sell it to you on the website and then later cancel the order, informing you it was actually gone.

SamAsh.com: Reputable internet retailer. No issues. Last time I ordered, they weren't charging CA sales tax. They'll often match or beat prices. The retail stores don't accept online returns.

Sweetwater: Lots of love on TB. Price matching, no sales tax. The website has pretty pics of the exact bass, even a serial number and and a weight. I've ordered pro audio gear from them, no sweat (no bass gear so far). But the phone calls!! The "sales engineers" phone at random times, usually right when I'm in a business meeting. No thank you.

TB Classifieds: Way more great people than not. :cool: Excellent deals on used gear. Beats Craigslist and Feebay by a country mile. Endless hours of scrolling and drooling time right down the tubes. :rollno:

ZZounds: One major purchase of a refurb electric piano several years ago. Arrived severely damaged after transiting the continent for a week in a large brown truck. Zzounds made it right and then some. I was impressed.

Other opinions? :bassist:

3. MarTONEbass

MarTONEbass

Jun 19, 2009
    Norton, MA
    I would add:

eBay: Fees are crazy high but this is offset by the HUGE audience, an advantage when selling your gear. Prices are generally higher than here on TB to account for those fees, but there are still deals to be had. I've found eBay to have a fairly extensive selection, more than pretty much all other avenues.

Guitar Center: Their used site is updated daily with a huge selection of gear of all types. Much of it is run-of-the-mill, but there are gems and deals to be had. Even while paying tax and shipping (reasonable to a fault IME), the deals can be good to great. There are duds, but their 30-day return policy to any GC is good insurance. No comment on their new gear, as I'm a used gear junkie, but it seems like they have a wide selection their too. :D

4. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Are AMS and Zzounds the same company? Sorta like MF and GC/Music123/etc are?

5. Bitterdale

Bitterdale Natural Born Lurker

Dec 4, 2010
    Ocala, FL
    Yes.

6. Musician Friend does not charge sales tax if you are not in certain states so if the item is avaible at both GC at M...I always go with MF.

7. Andy_D

Andy_D

Nov 28, 2009
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Holy Cow!!!!!!

I just got on Amazon and jumped on a USA G&L L2500 in Blueburst/Rosewood for that I saw for $699 because I figured that would not last another 15 minutes AND THEN Amazon told me I could redeem my accumulated points for this purchase which knocked it down to $446. for a new USA L2500 and HS Case.

He Shoots....He Scores!!!

I am one lucky guy today!

8. dave79

dave79 Rest well Fish

Points? Tell me please :)

9. Andy_D

Andy_D

Nov 28, 2009
    Corpus Christi, TX
    The points are connected to my Amazon Visa card. I buy a lot on Amazon have Prime and I guess you accumulate points for all purchases on your Amazon card. I had heard about this but this was the 1st time I have seen this pop up while checking out. It REALLY made my day!

10. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Honestly, I don't see the deals on Amazon these days, plus the California sales tax makes it a total non-starter for me. :(

A few years back their deals were truly incredible, though the merchandise was frequently B- or C-stock and took two or three returns before getting an acceptable example of whatever it was.

Anyway, I suspect I bought my last instrument in 2011, having trashed my hand and having inflation eat up all the good deals -- but I bought a ton (probably more, literally) before that point.

:rolleyes:

11. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Yeah, I have noticed that the Amazon deals are not as plentiful these days (I bought my Eden WT1205 and D610XST for right around $1300 delivered a few years ago). Would be nice if some of those deals would return........

12. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Massachusetts has decided it's going to start charging sales tax on Amazon purchases. Sucks!!

13. jumbodbassman

jumbodbassman Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Stuck in traffic -NY & CT
    Born Again Tubey
    CT started 11/01

14. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    Don’t know if they still do this, but they’d reduce the price on something to a ridiculously-low point, then when one sold, the price would jump right back up to regular price.

A few years ago I ordered a new Lightwave SL-5 for ~$550 (posted on this forum), went back to look at the page a couple minutes later and it was back up to $1,045.

15. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Same thing happened when I bought my Warwick Streamer for $1100. Right after I bought it, it went back to $2999!

16. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    If I remember correctly, the Eden 610 jumped back up to $1400 a couple days after I bought mine. Seemed to be a common thing.

17. carlitoswhey

carlitoswhey

Apr 3, 2009
    Phoenix
    Bass strings online is my best online bass shopping experience thus far. It would be difficult to find a better resource for strings and they even have a rewards program. Something like buy 300$ and yo can get a set of cheapies. Not great but everything helps. Customer service is great too. Now of only the price of r Coco would come down...

18. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Another great place to deal with is Rocket Music. Greg has always done right by me. I have spent thousands of dollars there, and every purchase, whether it be a $4000 Roscoe or a $30 strap, was handled perfectly.

19. dave79

dave79 Rest well Fish

20. paparoof

paparoof

Apr 27, 2011
    Minneapolis
    fEARful koolaid drinker
    LOL.