1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Deal of a century!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 1940andy, Aug 31, 2008.

1. 1940andy

1940andy

Jun 24, 2008
    So in my last thread, I was talking about what rig I wanted to get. At first, I was foolishly thinking that I was going to get a behemoth rig from GC and just pay for it with credit.

Oh, how naive I was.

So here I am, browsing in Craigslist, and I see a deal for an Ampeg BA210SP 220W amp. It was for 500 bucks. I thought, okay, that's alright... but guess what else?

Also included is a MIM Precision bass with a Badass II Bridge installed, new DiMarzio pickups, new strings, and a professional set up. FOR NO EXTRA CHARGE.

THAT amp and THAT bass, for 500 bucks!?!?! So I e-mailed the seller, and I told him I was very interested in buying. He only lives 25min. north of me, so that's great too! However, I start work next Saturday, and I explained to him that I wouldn't be able to pay it all up front. However, I said i'd be happy to make bi-monthly payments (I'd basically just give him every paycheck I make until it's payed off) and that i'd be more than willing to give him like an extra hundred bucks for doing it this way.

Now here's my question.. if you were the seller and you read this offer, would you accept?

2. musicmansf

musicmansf

Jul 23, 2007
    San Francisco
    On craigs list, I'd be sketched out. Then again, I have no faith in humanity. But hey, if he agrees, props to him AND you on agreeing to that deal!!!

3. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Chicago
    no.

he will be able to sell it for 500 straight up pretty quickly...may have already sold it at that price.

your method dosnt really benefit him much, unles she held onto the gear until it was all payed off. you cant expect him to trust a stranger completely and wait aroudn for 6 months until its payed off...that is what credit it for.

4. 1940andy

1940andy

Jun 24, 2008
    True, but I mean, there were pictures of both the amp and bass, and he/she only lives 25 minutes away, so i'd be able to go and see what i'm purchasing and such.

5. 1940andy

1940andy

Jun 24, 2008
    First off, it'd take 2 months at MOST to pay it all off. I'm thinking maybe only 1.5 months.

Secondly, you wouldn't want to wait that long, even if you got an extra hundred bucks out of it?

6. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Chicago
    if he has it posted for that low of a price, im guessing it means he needs the money quickly... thats why i dont think it will work out.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ya, if I'm posting that on Craigslist, I'm accepting the first $500 that comes my way. But don't worry, there's always deals out there.

8. I might do it, but I wouldn't give you the gear until you had paid in full - and I might raise the price $25 or $50 to charge for storage.

My philosophy is that if the bank can't afford to give you credit (so you can pay me in cash), why should I?

9. 1940andy

1940andy

Jun 24, 2008
    Because i'm only 17 and not able to receive a credit card yet?

10. 1940andy

1940andy

Jun 24, 2008
    Man, i'm kinda gettin' bummed! I was kinda stoked because I thought this would be able to work out - but I guess it's probably not going to. Mannn.

11. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

Feb 20, 2008
    Madison, WI
    It's generally a bad idea to buy something you don't have the money for.

12. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    +349

(excluding large items such as house and probably car.)

13. 1940andy

1940andy

Jun 24, 2008
    Well dang =( I guess the only advice I can give to myself is to just stop looking for gear and wait until I have some money saved up.

That way I won't get disappointed at the reality of things.

14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Well don't give up total hope. You may have touched his heart with your tale of woe, and he might want to help a brother out. That could happen, too. It's not the most likely scenario, but you never know...can't hurt to try.

15. wave rider

wave rider

Jan 5, 2005
    Borrow money from friends/parents? Much more realistic than depending on a craigslist seller for a loan...

=wr=

16. I'd say you've got no chance. Sorry bud, but if I'm selling a rig like that for that price I needed the money yesterday...certainly don't have 2 months to wait for it.

Keep your head up though, there will be someone else who will need money badly soon enough and if you save your money you can benefit from his/her misfortune!

17. Well it sure is one amazing find :bassist:

You never know, he might accept the deal, he might not..
    I'm hoping he does, because I would love to see some pics put up

Rock on :bassist:
    Bass Masta

18. Hawaii Islander

Hawaii Islander Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Rio Rico, AZ
    No need to get bummed over this.

See what the seller is like. If the seller seems like someone you want to make that kind of deal with, then just ask. The worst that could happen is they say no. Get everything in writing with signitures and have a friend or preferably a parent go with you. Have serial numbers of the gear on the papers and get pics if possible.

19. musicmansf

musicmansf

Jul 23, 2007
    San Francisco
    Still a bad idea with credit companies the way they are:ninja:!

20. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

No. I wouldn't.